Eileen Hull Pocket Notebook Release Party: Gather Gratitude Journal
Welcome to the Eileen Hull Pocket Notebook Release Party! This is Eileen Hull’s newest book die with Sizzix. On the die, you get all of the pieces you need to make an entire book- the cover, pages, latch and pen loop! The Pocket Notebook measures 6 3/4” x 4 1/2” with a spine that can adjust from of 3/8” to almost 2”! String it with elastic, hemp, ribbon or twine. So many option for this fun die!
Eileen’s Inspiration and Educator teams have combined to show us their amazing Pocket Notebook ideas. Please follow the Blog Hop to see all of the fabulous projects, techniques and videos!
There are also two GIVEAWAYS- the Pocket Notebook die and a gift certificate for Eileen’s Etsy store. To enter to win, leave a comment on each of the posts. Winners will be announced on Tuesday, October 8 on Eileen’s Facebook Live show
Kathy Clement ( You are HERE)
This might just be the most versatile member of the Eileen Hull Book family. It is a great addition to her Traveler’s Notebook, Passport Journal, Wrap Journal, and Notebook Dies.
Eileen put this blog hop together to show just how many different ways this die can be put to use. You’ll find videos, tutorials and loads of ideas in this blog hop!
Gather Gratitude Journal with Authentique Gracious Collection
Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. Our extended family used to gather at my Grammy Ma’s home every year. All my aunts, uncles,cousins, and great-grandparents were there. Everyone brought dishes to add to the feast that my grandmother lovingly prepared. The table groaned under the weight of all those fixin’s! Sometimes, there were 3 dozen of us in attendance. I cannot even begin to describe the warmth and love present. But it made a deep impression on my young soul. Every fall, I create a gratitude journal as a tribute to those happy memories. This year, I chose to work with Authentique Paper’s Gracious Collection, which takes me right back to my grandmother’s home.
Gather Gratitude Journal: Mixed Media Touches
Here’s how I prepared the covers for the gratitude journal
- First, die cut 2 covers from mat board. Line up the holes in the spine so that it is at its widest point. Adhere with Dries Clear Adhesive, or Red Liner Tape.
- Next, cut the cover so that it is 1″ wider on all sides than the opened journal.
- Now, place the paper face down on your work surface, and then place the journal face down on top of it. Wrap the cover with the designer paper. I used Stamperia Mixed Media Glue to adhere the covers to the designer paper. This adhesive seems to help the paper “flex” and also adheres well.
- Miter the corners, fold and adhere the overlap inside the journal cover.
- Next, gently bend the covers, going slowly so that the paper will not tear.
- Now, cut papers for the inside of the journal. I like to leave a 1/4″ border on all 4 sides. Once again, adhere with the Stamperia Mixed Media Glue.
- Stitch layers of designer paper onto burlap and arrange on the cover.
Gather Gratitude Journal: The Spine
This journal has a stitched fabric spine. I pleated the fabric while adding a decorative stitch . I love how rustic this looks. After stitching, cover the back side completely with Scor-Tape or Red Line tape, then center and adhere to the spine. Now you can add the binding elastic. I do this very simply by wrapping the entire spine with double strands of elastic. Secure the strands with square knots. Tie the strands together at the top of the spine, then add charms and a bow. Then I added the ribbon closure.
Gather Gratitude Journal: The Focal Point
The focal point of this gratitude journal is the cutlery image inside a Tim Holtz Vignette Frame. Here’s how that came together:
- Select the 2nd smallest vignette frame. Paint with black chalk paint. Let it dry.
- Now, paint the frame with Prima Copper Crackle Texture Paste.
- While the paste is still wet, sprinkle randomly with Seth Apter Patina Oxide Baked Texture Embossing Powder. Heat set.
- Next, trim the image from Gracious and adhere behind the frame. Then adhere the frame to the journal cover.
- Die cut a leafy wreath from designer paper and adhere to the frame.
- Decorate the cover with G45 Roses, acorns and other fall themed elements.
Gather Gratitude Journal: A Peek Inside
Create pockets for the front and back covers using Eileen’s Gift Card Pocket and Tag Die.
Cut (10) 7 1/2″ x 6 1/4″ signature covers from designer paper. Fold in half, crease with a bone folder and fill with the paper of your choice. Cut the inner papers 7 1/4″ x 6″ so that they will fit neatly. (Note: I did not have the die…so I could not use it to cut my inner pages and signatures. I only had the die cut cover, latch and pen loop.)
Here’s a look at the signatures:
I like this style of journal, because you can just slip the signatures under the elastic binding strips. Then, when you need to refill, you can just add more papers.
Gather Gratitude Journal: Project Share Video
I created a quick flip through with tips and tricks on Youtube
I hope I’ve shared some tips, tricks and ideas that you can use in your own crafty adventures. If so, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Thanks for hopping by!