G45 Master Detective Faux Rust Mini Album for Frilly Funkie Haunted Halloween Challenge
Hello, Friends! Are you ready to get your Halloween on? This G45 Master Detective Faux Rust Mini Album is filled with spook-tacular details. Created for the Haunted Halloween Challenge at The Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog, I’ve loaded this album up with loads of texture, interactive elements and mixed media techniques. We’ll take a look in a moment, but first, let’s see what Jenny, our gracious and talented hostess this go round, has to say about this frightfully fun challenge:
Challenge Theme: Haunted Halloween
It’s time to get your freak on and go all out for Halloween. We want to see your ghouls and ghosts and things that go bump in the night. It’s going to be spooktacular!!!
G45 Master Detective Faux Rust Mini Album: Elementary, My Dear Watson!
Master Detective is one of my all time favorite Halloween Collections. I love the color palette, the quirky characters and the incredible patterns. When I was growing up, “Clue” (the board game) filled many a leisure hour, so working with it brings back loads of happy memories. This “from scratch” mini album is made in the same way as the Communique album that I shared with you HERE. In fact, the tutorial video shows me using this collection. So I thought I would come back and share the finished album with you.
For this album, I decided to go in a faux rust direction. There are loads of ways to create faux rust, all of them wonderful and fun to work with. This time, I decided to use Tim’s Mechanical 3-D Texture Fade with Seth Apter’s Chunky Rust Baked texture.
After adding embossing ink to the album cover with an embossing dabber, I covered it with Chunky Rust and heat embossed. I tell you: watching that chunky rust baked texture do its thing when exposed to heat is a magical moment! Next, I pulled out my Prima Rust Pastes and a sponge to dab on even more texture and rusty goodness. No need to go into all of the details here, as I share them with you in the video tour at the bottom of this post.
G45 Master Detective Faux Rust Mini Album: The Pocket Watch
To create the focal image, I used Tim’s Pocket Watch Frame. It’s perfect for this Sherlock Holmes themed mini album. Here’s how I did it:
- First, die cut 2 pocket watch frames from matboard.
- Then paint both the frames and the back with black gesso.
- Next, while the gesso is still wet, cover one frame with Seth Apter Ancient Amber Baked Texture. Heat Emboss.
- Now use an embossing dabber randomly around the perimeter and stem of the pocket watch frame.
- Then sprinkle on Patina Oxide Baked Texture to add an aged brass patina to the pocket watch frame.
- Use the other frame as a template and trace around the focal image. Trim out and adhere to the back of the embossed frame.
- Now, use the Embossing Dabber inside the frame, on the image. Be liberal! You want a nice thick layer of Embossing ink. If you don’t have a dabber, you can use an embossing ink pad or an embossing pen.
- Then fill the frame with a layer of Ultra Thick Embossing Powder (UTEE). Heat emboss from the BOTTOM so that the UTEE does not blow all over your craft space. Repeat this step 2 or 3 times until the watch face has a glassy appearance.
- Now, adhere the circular back behind the frame.
- Next, use adhesive and foam tabs to add the 2nd frame behind the first one. This gives the pocket watch lots of dimension.
- Dab on some Prima Rust Paste. Add some Prills. Done!
G45 Master Detective Faux Rust Mini Album: The Spine
This album measures 7 1/2″ x 6″ with a 3″ spine. The spine is dressed up with black satin ribbon, one of Tim’s Crypt Cameos, a little black crochet doily that I found in my stash, a Steampunk Key, and Halloween Tokens.
G45 Master Detective Faux Rust Mini Album: A Peek Inside
I’ve filled the inside pages with all kinds of interactive elements. You’ll see them all in the video, so I’ll just share photos here.
G45 Master Detective Faux Rust Mini: The Video Tour
I hope I shared some tips, techniques and ideas that you can use in your own crafty adventures. Creating interactive albums, cards and folios has really become an obsession for me. Hopefully, you are enjoying them as well.
Haunted Halloween: Now It’s Your Turn!
Why don’t you join in on this fun Haunted Halloween Challenge? It’s easy to do! Simply link up a new vintage or shabby chic Halloween Themed project over on the Frilly and Funkie Challenge blog before 11:55PM EDT on Tuesday, October 23rd. You can find all the details and link up your project HERE.
The Frilly and Funkie team will visit your posts, leave you a lovely comment and select our favorite project as a Guest Designer on the Frilly and Funkie Blog. Our top 3 picks will each receive badges to display proudly. And everyone who plays along, following the theme and guidelines will be entered in a random drawing for a $25 shopping spree at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.
I can’t wait to see what you make!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Product Links to The Funkie Junkie Boutique