#G45Gentleman Challenge: The Game is Afoot with Master Detective!
Hello, G45’ers! Today’s post is all about the fun #G45Gentleman Challenge at Graphic 45. As you can probably guess, the challenge is to create a masculine project using Graphic 45 papers. I got inspired by this fun challenge theme…and the new Master Detective Collection and set about making this deliciously diabolical Master Detective Bendi Card.
The Game is Afoot!
Our family has always been a game-playing family. From the time they were little, our 5 kids loved nothing better than spending an afternoon or evening rolling dice, spinning spinners, and moving game pieces around a board. We played countless games of Clue, and hosted more than one Murder Mystery Dinner. So this collection really spoke to memories of happy family times. To this day, whenever we get together, the boxes come out of the closet and as Sherlock Holmes says, “The game is afoot!”
- Back fussy cut images with foam dimensionals or waste chipboard to lift them from the card base. I get lots of packages sent to me in Priority Mail boxes. Instead of throwing them in the recycle bin, I cut them up and use them instead of costly foam dimensionals.
Here’s the “view from the top” so you can get a good look at all the yummy layers in this whimsical card.
Sinister Secrets and Dastardly Deeds: Create a Secret Pocket
You can create a secret pocket in many different ways. For this project, I fussy cut a border from the 12×12 paper collection. Then, I cut a narrow strip of cardboard and glued it along the base of the strip. Next, I added 1/8″ Scor-Tape to the base of the cardboard and glued it to the base of the Master Detective Bendi Card.
Now, what did I put in the pocket?
This little gift card folio! I simply matted the image on a strip 8.5″ long cardstock that was slightly taller than the image. After gluing the image to the right hand side of the strip, I scored a line to the left and folded.
Next I trimmed down a Master Detective ephemera card, and glued it inside. This gives you room to write a personal message and a great spot to tuck in a gift card!
Cobwebbed Cabinets and Skeleton Keys
One of the elements that makes this card so much fun is the staggered layers. I knew I wanted to add some height to one side of the card, so I fussy cut the cobwebbed bookshelf from the 12×12 page. To create even more dimension, you can separate the layers. I actually made three separate tiers, each backed with cardboard to make this curio cabinet pop off the page.
- If you look closely at the top tier of the cabinet, you’ll see that the base of the top tier is folded to create even more dimension. To do this, I glued two strips of cardboard, one on top of the other, to the center of the base moulding. Then I glued the cardboard to the top of the curio cabinet. Once the glue had set, I came back and folded the sides down and glued them to the paper. It gives the top tier of the cabinet a very realistic look.
Elementary, My Dear Watson: Handmade Rosettes
Circle elements always add a playful feel to a project. To incorporate them here, I made some rosettes.
- No rosette die? No worries! I made these rosettes with the border strips from the 12×12 collection. Cut the borders to different widths, then score on the 12″ side every 1/4″. Accordion fold along the score lines. Glue the ends together, then clip with a small binder clip until the glue dries. Place a dime sized puddle of hot glue onto a non stick craft mat. Open the rosette and press the center down into the glue puddle, bringing all the center edges together. Hold in place for a few seconds, then top with a chipboard button or game piece from the Master Detective Decorative Chipboard.
Master Detective Tags & Pockets
This pocket provides another fun little hiding spot for tags and treats. Skeleton keys, skeleton hands, a spider webbed monocle and spider charm add even more mystery to the design.
The #G45Gentleman Challenge
So now it’s your turn to get out your scissors and glue and get your craft on. Join the #G45Gentleman Challenge!
- Create a masculine project using Graphic 45 product.
- Upload your project to the G45 Facebook page using #G45 Gentleman
- BONUS! Use the new Master Detective Collection and your entry will count as two entries.
- WIN a $150 prize pack. Graphic 45 will randomly select ONE entry as the winning project.
- Deadline: June 30th 2017
- You can enter multiple times!
- Upload your projects HERE.
Thanks for joining me here today! I hope I’ve shared some tips and tricks that you can use in your own crafty adventures. If so, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.