Prima Lavender Blooming Marvelous Flip Folio for the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog
Hello, Friends! Even though the weather has made it hard to believe, Spring is on the way! And with spring comes beautiful blooms! That’s what we’re celebrating this go round on the Frilly and Funkie Challenge blog where the amazing Zoe is our hostess. I’ve created a Prima Lavender Blooming Marvelous Flip Folio to share with you today, but first, let’s see what our gracious hostess, Zoe, has to say about this challenge:
Challenge Theme: Bloomin’ Marvellous
As spring pokes its head through the frozen ground, let’s celebrate the season and create a vintage or shabby chic project with flowers as the focus and in vintage muted pastel tones, (no brights).
Prima Lavender Blooming Marvelous Flip Folio: The Cover
You’d have to look far and wide to find a collection that fits the parameters of this challenge better than Prima Lavender. Not only does it make me think of the pretty hyacinths that are the first spring flowers to break through the soil, it’s also filled to the brim with floral images and soft vintage pastels.
This 4.75″ x 7″ flip folio started with two 5″ x 7″ side fold card bases. I simply added a couple of extra score lines to create double 1/2″ spines. Then I went to work adding all sorts of flips, flaps, hidden pockets and tuck spots. What fun!
One of the things that drew me to this collection is the beautiful rose gold foiled accents on the 12×12 paper pad. Of course, I love the shabby/vintage vibe of all the papers, but that rose gold foiling reeled me in! I decided to create a shaker frame using some of it along with Tim’s wonderful Ornate Frame Bigz die.
Prima Lavender Blooming Marvelous Flip Folio: The Shaker Element
Here’s how I made this shaker element:
- First, die cut two sets of the frame from thick cardstock.
- Now die cut another frame using the rose gold foiled paper from the 12×12 pad.
- Next, ink both frames with Dusty Concord Distress Ink and a blending tool.
- Then stack both oval chipboard centers and glue together.
- Now cover the top oval layer with the reverse side of oval center from the paper frame. Decorate with stickers or elements from the collection.
- Now, cover the top frame with the die cut rose gold paper, making sure everything is lined up. I find that liquid glue works best for this task.
- Next, I used my crafting hammer to sort of bang both those ovals back into the center of the inked frame. You might not need to use a hammer, but I did.
- Then, trace around the inside of the frame onto a sheet of clear acetate cardstock. If you don’t have this in your stash, you can always cut up clear plastic packaging. Cut the acetate oval out and glue it to the back side of the frame. I use Art Institute Dries Clear Adhesive for this. Use a baby wipe to clean away any excess glue.
- Next, with the frame face down, add a double layer of Kool-Tak Clear Foam Adhesive to the inner rim of the frame. I like to use this clear foam tape as it does not show through the openings in the die cut frame.
- Fill the inside of the frame with your shaker elements. I used sequins and glitter here. Don’t overfill or the shaker won’t seal properly.
- Finally, remove the liner from the foam tape and place the prepared frame back over it so that everything lines up. Press firmly to seal.
- Now shake it up, baby!
Prima Lavender Blooming Marvelous Flip Folio: The ribbon closure
Before you decorate your folio cover, you will want to add a ribbon closure. I added a layer of white netting and wide crochet lace before adding the gingham ribbon closure.
Secure these layers with 1/2″ Scor-Tape.
Prima Lavender Blooming Marvelous Flip Folio: A Peek Inside
Now the fun begins! There are 3 sections inside the folio, each filled with flaps and flips and all sorts of wonderful interactive elements.
This is just a sample of what lies within. You can see all the elements in the YouTube Video tour below.
Of course, I had to include a waterfall feature. This one has a ribbon closure.
And there’s a triple pocket in the center.
Prima Lavender Blooming Marvelous Flip Folio: YouTube Video Tour with Tips and Tricks
Bloomin’ Marvelous! Now it’s YOUR turn!
You’re invited to participate in this shabbylicious “Bloomin’ Marvelous” Challenge at the Frilly and Funkie Blog. Simply create your own vintage or shabby chic project that incorporates florals and pastel colors in the design. Then link your project on the Frilly and Funkie blog before 11:59PM DST on Tuesday, April 10th. You can find all the information on that HERE.
The Frilly and Funkie team will choose four favorite projects from your entries. Our favorite artist will be invited to join us as a Guest Designer at Frilly and Funkie. The next three winners will receive Top 3 badges to display on their blogs. Everyone who links up and follows the ruleswill be entered into the draw to have the chance to win a $25 spending spree at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.
I can’t wait to see what you make!
Did I share some tips and tricks today that you can use in your own crafty adventures? If so,, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Thanks for stopping by!