Authentique Dreamy Folio Tutorial
Hello, Friends! Happy Monday! I’m back from the beach and ready to share this shabby chic Authentique Dreamy Folio Tutorial with you. This tutorial is loaded with techniques, mechanisms, tips and tricks that will help you take your crafting to the next level. If you’ve always wanted to create a folio, but didn’t know where to start, this is the blog post you’ve been waiting for!
This 5 1/4″ x 8 1/2″ tri-fold folio is made with two 8 1/2″ x 11″ heavy cardstock. You’ll find a linked supply list at the end of this post.
Alter this 3″ x 4″ Tim Holtz Vignette Frame with Distress Paints and Sprays. While I don’t share this step in the tutorial, you can learn how to do this HERE.
Authentique Paper always adds cute banner elements to their cardstock components sheets. Mat this “Dream” banner on scraps of Spectrum Silver Dollar and Tickled Pink Cardstock to really make it pop.
Authentique Dreamy Folio Tutorial: Some Details
To create this ribbon closure, follow these easy steps:
- After you have matted your folio base with Spectrum Cardstock, find the center point.
- Next, wrap 1/2″ Scor-Tape all the way around the folio from the back cover, over the spine and to the front edge.
- Then, cut a piece of ribbon that is at least 12″ longer than the combined width of the cover, spine and back cover.
- Finally, remove the liner tape and press the ribbon onto the adhesive to secure.
- Now you can build your cover over the top of the ribbon closure.
Bangles add such a fun touch to a folio spine. I created this cluster with a mini glass bottle, some beads, a lobster clasp and some metal charms.
TIP: Alter metal charms by tapping them with Distress Paint that matches your color scheme.
TIP: For extra fun, fill the glass bottle with glitter. Then wrap it with a pretty washi tape.
Authentique Dreamy Folio Tutorial: A Peek Inside
This is what the folio looks like fully opened. It has (2) 5 1/4″ x 8 1/2″ panels, (1) 5″ x 8 1/2″ panel and one little flip page that measures 3″ x 8 1/2″.
The tutorial will show you how to build all these mechanisms:
- Double Hidden Pocket with Inserts
- Shaped Flap page
- Horizontal waterfall
- Tag Pocket and vertical waterfall
- Box Pocket
- Tea Bag Pocket and Belly Band Tuck Spot
- Flip page with double magnetic folios
Authentique Dreamy Folio Tutorial: Eileen Hull Notebook Insert
This sweet Eileen Hull Notebook is tucked into the box pocket. We don’t get into creating that in this tutorial, but I’ll be sharing a tutorial for that very soon, so stand by! The video was getting very long, so I had to make some tough choices!
Inside the notebook, you’ll find a little flap page that’s a perfect spot for a photo or some journaling. Instead of creating standard book pages, I added an accordion pull out page on the right. This is topped with a little flap feature.
TIP: Score an image that is too large to fit your page. Now you have created an easy flap mechanism. Isn’t that fun?
Here’s a peek at the accordion fold mechanism inside the notebook. As I said, we’ll be sharing that here soon!
Authentique Dreamy Folio Tutorial: Tag Insert
I needed an element to hold the waterfall feature closed. So I created a tag pocket and a little art tag. When the tag is inserted in the pocket, it keeps the waterfall feature from flapping around. Here’s how to make it:
- First, cover a Graphic 45 Large Ivory Tag with a liner that you’ve cut with the Large Tag/ATC Tag/Flowers Die.
- Next, cut a 3″ high panel of the pink feather paper the same width as the tag liner and adhere.
- Stitch some ruffled ribbon onto the tag. Then wrap with jute cord and attach a small butterfly charm.
- Fold a small white doily in half and adhere above the pink feather paper.
- Cut a wide banner flag from paper scraps and tuck beneath the feather paper.
- Fussy cut the butterfly girl image from the 4″ x 6″ journal card. (Dreamy 6)
- Adhere the fussy cut image to the tag so that the head is aligned with the center of the doily.
- Place small dimensional tabs underneath the butterfly wings to add more dimension.
- Pop the “Love Life” Cardstock Component up on dimensionals and adhere.
- Create top and bottom borders with 3/4″ high scraps of the grey print.
- Thread ribbon through the top of the tag. Add tassel, flowers and jute bow.
Authentique Dreamy Folio Tutorial on YouTube
Are you ready to get your craft on? Just click play and we’ll get this crafty party started. This is a long tutorial , so you might want to grab a snack and a cuppa to sustain you! I hope you enjoy!
This would make a most beautiful Mother’s Day gift, don’t you think? I hope I shared some tips, tricks and techniques you can use in your own crafty adventures. If so, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Thanks for stopping by!
Note: I used the following papers from the Dreamy 12×12 Collection Kit, which includes the Cardstock Components Sheet. To reproduce it exactly as I did, you will need 3 sheets of Dreamy One, and 2 Cardstock Components Sheets. I’ve broken the supply list down for you to help you know exactly how much paper you will need to complete the folio.
- Authentique Paper
- Dreamy Collection Kit
- 3 sheets Dreamy One
- 2 Sheets Dreamy Two
- Dreamy Three: 2 Sheets
- 2 sheets Dreamy 4
- Dreamy 6: One sheet
- Spectrum Cardstock
- Other Supplies
Basic Cutting Guide:
- Folio Base
- 2 sheets of 8 1/2″ x 11″ cardstock joined with 1/2″ Scor-Tape. Follow scoring directions in the tutorial
- Tickled Pink Spectrum Cardstock:
- (4) 5 1/8″ x 8 3/8″ for the 5 1/4″ x 8 1/2″ panels
- (2) 4 7/8″ x 8 3/8″ for the 5″ x 8 1/2″ panels
- (2) 2 7/8″ x 8 3/8″ for the flip pages
- (6) 7/8″ x 8 3/8″ strips for the spine
- Silver Dollar Spectrum Cardstock
- (4) 5″ x 8 1/4″
- (2) 4 3/4″ x 8 1/4″
- (2) 2 3/4″ x 8 1/4″
- (6) 3/4″ x 8 1/4″
- Inserts for the Hidden Pockets
- Silver Dollar Spectrum Cardstock : (2) 3 3/4″ x 12″ Scored at 5 1/2″
- Box Pocket
- Silver Dollar Spectrum Cardstock: 7 1/2″x 4 1/2″
- Score at 3/4″, 1 1/2″, 6″ 6 3/4″ on the long side
- Score at 3/4″ and 1 1/2″ on the short side.
- Vertical Waterfall
- 4 1/4″ x 4 3/4″ scored at 1/2″ on left side
- Horizontal Waterfall
- 4 3/4″ x 4 1/2″ scored at 1/2″ along the top