Good Tuesday morning to you, friends! I have another fun watercolor project to share with you today. This time, I’ve created a watercolor background for a card that I like to call, “What’s Up, Buttercup?”
Sometimes a card almost makes itself. And sometimes, a card wrestles your creativity to the ground before it gives in and comes together. This was one of those cards. I almost gave up and pitched the whole thing into the trash. But wisdom prevailed, and I set the individual elements on the corner of my desk and walked away. When I came back today, I knew what direction to take, and just how to finish this card. Creativity wins the day!
I used Distress Stains, Watercolor paper, and a water spritzer to create this happy watercolor background. Using Tumbled Glass, Shabby Shutters, Broken China and Wild Honey Distress Stains, I began by cutting two pieces of cold press watercolor paper to 5×7.5″. I spritzed the papers heavily with water and then used the Distress Stain applicator to scribble out some color directly onto my craft sheet. I then swiped the paper through the puddle of stain from several different directions until I liked the way it looked. Then, I heat dried the paper, and repeated the entire process with each color until I had the look I wanted. Here’s a close up of the watercolor background:
Once I was happy with the watercolor background, I pulled out a stencil from my stash. I’m a novice when it comes to stenciling, so I taped the stencil over one piece of watercolor page to make sure things worked out well. I then spritzed liberally with Sunflower Sparkle Perfect Pearls, and dried the paper carefully with my heat gun. When I felt like I could lift the stencil without creating a smeared mess, I removed the tape and finished drying the background. I used a brown sharpie marker to outline the stenciled posies.
I knew I wanted to create some sort of pocket to go on the front of this card…a pocket full of posies, if you will. I took the other watercolor background and stamped a floral background stamp from Hero Arts using Ranger Archival Ink in Coffee. This was heat embossed and the watercolor background peeked through as lovely flowers.
This was die cut into a pocket shape, and stitched around the edges. I added some ribbon to the top edge, cut out a pocket tab and stamped “hi” on it and then adhered the pocket to the watercolor base using dimensionals. I still had an extra strip of the embossed paper, so I ran this through my die cut machine using a Spellbinder’s edge die. This worked perfectly as a header for the card.
I used the same die to cut a decorative edge on the base of my watercolor background BEFORE I attached the pocket. (Sorry…sometimes I get ahead of myself!) I added copper brads to cheery yellow daisies, adhered the whole kit and kaboodle to a kraft card base, and added a twine bow and button. I’m so glad now that I didn’t toss this happy card!
For the inside, I stamped directly onto a kraft card base and then added flowers that I stamped onto a pretty yellow paper pulled from my scrap drawer. The sentiment was hand written. I traced over the vine with a turquoise gelly roll pen, just to add a little sparkle.
So, What’s Up, Buttercup? What obstacle are you trying to press through today? Are you at the point of utter frustrations? Ready to trash things? Maybe the key is to just walk away for a few minutes (or a couple of days, as I did) and then come back to that brick wall with a fresh perspective. Sometimes, taking a break is the most creative thing you can do. And, it makes the difference between a full trash can…and a happy ending!
Thanks for taking the time to visit my little blog today. I hope you found something here to make you smile. If so, my mission is complete. Don’t forget to leave me a little comment….you know they make me happy right down to the tips of my crafty little fingers. Until next time…
PS…I’m linking this project to Inspiration Emporium Marvelous Masks and Spectacular Stencils Challenge.
And, I’m also adding it to The Eclectic Paperie E-Team Challenge: Flowers
I figure after all that angst, I should make the most of the opportunity! LOL
Product used in this project: Stamps: My Favorite Things,: Pretty Pockets, Hero Arts: Flower Table Cloth; Inks and Sprays: Ranger Industries: Distress Stain in Tumbled Glass/Shabby Shutters/ Broken China/Wild Honey, Coffee Archival Ink; Dies: My Favorite Things, Pretty Pocket; Spellbinders, A2 Bracket Borders One; From my stash: cold press watercolor paper, button, twine, ribbon, double stick tape, clear embossing powder.