3D Embossing Folder Tips and Tutorial with Blue Fern Yuletide Collection
Hello, Friends! Today’s Throwback Thursday is a special request for a 3D Embossing Folder Tips and Tutorial post. A few weeks ago I shared several projects made with the new Spellbinders Floral Swag 3D Embossing Folder. Several of you had great questions, and wanted to see the techniques I used to achieve the mixed media effect on my cardstock. You can find those projects HERE.
This time around, I paired the embossing folder up with Blue Fern’s gorgeously vintage Yuletide Paper Collection. I had a nice little pile of scraps to work with, including this gorgeous watercolor background panel that I altered with the folder, paint, ink and metallic wax. Because the background was so lovely, I didn’t want to cover it up. So I grouped together some ephemera pieces, flowers, and a Reneabouquets snowflake for the focal image.
Tips and Techniques
No matter how many times I use this embossing folder, I find myself thrilled with the results. Each panel turns out just a little bit different from the one before, depending on which mixed media supplies I use to enhance the embossed image.
- First, lightly mist your paper panel with some water to soften it up and release the starch in the paper. This helps to prevent cracking, and it also gives you a deeper impression.
- Heat dry the embossed panel, then dry brush it with paint, if desired. I demonstrate this in the video tutorial below.
- Add color to the raised edges of your design by lightly brushing on some Distress Oxide Ink. Speckled Egg was a good option for this paper.
- You can add another layer of color by rubbing portions of the design with metallic wax. The brand I use is from Little Birdie crafts. It appears to be discontinued, but Prima makes metallic wax as well.
A Peek Inside
The inside of the card folio is all about the papers! I do so love the vintage vibe of this beautiful collection.
Open the flap mechanism to reveal a lovely spot for a blank note card.
The box pocket on the bottom of the card contains one of my signature Tea Party in a Box surprises. Use bits of your paper scraps to “gift wrap” the goodies you put into your box.
3D Embossing Folder Tips and Tutorial on YouTube
If you’d like to watch the process I used when making the mixed media panel for this card, please enjoy this YouTube video.
Thanks for stopping by!
- Spellbinders Floral Swag 3D Embossing Folder
- Amazing Paper Grace Enchanting Pocket Card Die
- Blue Fern Yuletide Collection
- Ivory Chalk Paint…any brand will do
- Speckled Egg Distress Oxide Ink
- Icy Glaze Metallic Wax (Discontinued….try Finnabair Blue Lagoon)
- Prima Say it in Crystals from my stash (retired)