Christmas Joy Shaker Folio Tutorial with Authentique December Calendar Collection
Hello, Friends! Today I have a sweet little Christmas Joy Shaker Folio Tutorial to share with you. The month of December is filled with so many wonderful photo ops: picking out the tree, Black Friday Shopping Marathons, cookie baking, decorating, pageants…the list goes on and on! It all happens so fast that it’s easy to miss those special moments, or keep up with them in a December Daily format. But this little flip folio is a quick and easy make. All you have to do is add photos, a few captions, and you’ve preserved the magic of this holiday season for years to come. the December pages from Authentique Paper’s new Calendar Collection makes it extra easy ! let’s take a closer look, shall we?
Christmas Joy Shaker Folio Tutorial: The Basics
The tri-fold folio base measures 5 1/2″ x 7 1/2″ with 1″ spines. I used 12″ x 18″ natural cardstock for the base, then lined both sides with Authentique Spectrum cardstock in Denim and Tricycle Red cardstock. This adds a colorful base, and it also strengthens the base.
The front of the album is just one layer of the December plaid topped with a festive shaker frame. Here’s how to make the frame:
- First, die cut a Calllista Rectangle Shadow Box Frame from ivory cardstock. Be sure to place the insert die in the center of the frame to cut out the shaker opening.
- Next, cover the frame with Versamark Embossing Ink.
- Now cover the frame with Ranger Bridal Embossing Powder. Heat emboss. This will add a lovely sparkly shimmer to the frame, but it will also strengthen those delicate edges.
- Cut a 3 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ piece of clear cardstock to fit the back of the frame. Adhere with Scor-Tape or Dries Clear Adhesive. Remove the liner tape from each layer, but leave it on the top layer until after you’ve added your shaker mix.
- Next, adhere 3 layers of Darice Foam Strips to the back of the solid sides of the frame.
- Now, cut out the image from the December Calendar pages. Adhere it to the plaid patterned paper. Then place beads, sequins and other sparkly goodies in the center of the image.
- Remove the liner tape and carefully line the frame up over the image. Press in place.
- Finish with flowers, ribbons and other pretty Christmas baubles.
Christmas Joy Shaker Folio Tutorial: The Spine
Cover the back and spine of the album with the cable knit sweater pattern from Authentique Snowfall. Adhere a little Tim Holtz Christmas Ephemera label to the back of the album. This is a great spot to write down the year you made the folio and any other little details.
Use a silver lobster clasp and jump rings to create a charm cluster on the spine. This is the easiest way I’ve found to do this. I just punch a hold about 1/2″ from the top of the spine, tie a bow through the opening, and add my charms.
Christmas Joy Shaker Folio Tutorial: A Peek Inside
This folio is filled with fun, interactive elements. The tag pocket on the left flips open. The carolers on the right hand flip up.
The center panel is a box style pocket with a gift folio insert.
TIP: Score and fold the December calendar to create a spot to write down December events, shopping lists, or special memories. Save the off cut from the shaped pocket and use it as a turn tab on the fold.
The right hand page flips out to reveal a sweet little waterfall and another die cut frame for a special photo. Because of the box style pocket, the album stands up for display so it can be used as a home decor piece.
Fill the folio with some Christmas treats. Once they are removed, you have a great place to tuck in even more photos!
Christmas Joy Shaker Folio Tutorial: Video Tour and How to Make the Base
If you’d like to see more of the details in this folio and learn how to build the base and mechanisms, then please enjoy this little video tutorial.
I hope I’ve shared some ideas, tips and techniques that you can use in your next crafty adventure. If so, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below. You will also find a linked supply list below the post.
Thanks for stopping by!
- Authentique Paper
- 12″ x 18″ Natural 100# cardstock
- ivory cardstock scraps from my stash
- Spellbinders Callista Shadow Box Rectangle Die
- Clear Cardstock
- Red, Green and Gold Christmas Plaid Ribbon
- Flowers and Charms from my Stash
- Silver Lobster Clasp