This hop is now closed. The winner is Barbara H.
Blazing Poppy Altered Keepsake Box for the Heartfelt Creations May 2018 Alumni Hop
Hello, Friends! Welcome to the Heartfelt Creations May 2018 Alumni Hop! The hop starts here. You’ll find a complete blog hop list at the end of this post. Since May is the month when we celebrate Memorial Day in the US, I thought a Blazing Poppy themed project would be fun to make. After a search through the Closet of Shame, I found a lovely round box that some dear soul passed on to me and I decided to upcycle it into this Blazing Poppy Altered Keepsake Box.
This box is about 6″ in diameter and about 3″ high. Since the base color was already a lovely shade of poppy, I simply needed to add my designer papers, flowers, foliage and embellishments.
Blazing Poppy Altered Keepsake Box: Tips and Tricks
Round boxes are fairly easy to alter. While I didn’t have time to do a complete tutorial this month, here are some tips and tricks that I used:
- First, measure the height of the inside walls of your box. Then cut your designer paper about 1/4″ less than that measurement.
- Next, trace the bottom of the box onto your chosen designer paper. If you cut inside the traced circle, you should have a liner piece for the box interior that’s just about perfect in size.
- Then, repeat that process to create the liner piece for the interior cover.
- I inked all my paper edges with a combination of Abandoned Coral, Ripe Persimmon and Vintage Photo Distress Inks.
- Use border strips to line outside edges of the box. First, brush the back side of your paper with Distress Collage Medium. After applying your cut strips to the box sides, it is helpful to burnish lightly with a slightly damp paper towel to push out any air bubbles.
- Add a second coat of Distress Collage Medium to seal and protect the paper.
Blazing Poppy Altered Keepsake Box: What’s Inside
Since I already had all my “mess” out on the desk, I decided to create a little 4″ square gift card holder to go inside the box.
The round focal is cut from one of the pre-designed card fronts in the Blazing Poppy Paper Collection. To add extra dimension, I popped my fussy cut denim pocket full of poppies up with foam dots.
Next I tucked this die cut tag behind the pocket and added a vintage style metal key.
The interior of the card has a gift card pocket. Fill it with a tiny tag and miniature chocolate treat for extra fun..
On with the Hop!
This blog hop begins on Friday, May 25th at 8AM EDT and runs until 11:59PM EDT on Monday, May 28th.
Be sure to visit all the blogs in the hop and leave a lovely comment as one lucky comment will be randomly chosen from a mystery blog to win a $25 gift card at Heartfelt Creations! The winner will be announced on the Heartfelt Creations Blog and Facebook page on Wednesday, May 30th. I ‘ll also post the winning name at the top of this post at that time.
The winner needs to contact Heartfelt Creations by email at email@example.com. Please write “Winner of the May Alumni Hop” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Now let’s get hopping!
I hope I’ve shared some tips, tricks and ideas that you can use in your own crafty adventures. If so, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Thanks for hopping!
Blazing Poppy Altered Keepsake Box Supply List
- Blazing Poppy Paper Collection
- Cling Stamp Set: Blazing Poppy Petals
- Blazing Poppy Die
- Arianna Blooms Cling Stamp Set
- Arianna Blooms Die
- Cling Stamp Set: Botanical Wings
- Botanical Wings Die
- Cling Stamp Set: Delightful Daisies
- Delightful Daisies Die
- Berry Nice Prills
- 3-D Floral Basics Shaping Mold
- Deluxe Flower Shaping Kit
- Jet Black Archival Ink
- Gold 3-D Stamp Paint
- Walnut Brown 3-D Stamp Paint
- Carmine Red 3-D Stamp Paint
- Abandoned Coral Distress Ink
- Ripe Persimmon Distress Ink
- Vintage Photo Distress Ink
- Distress Collage Medium
- Designer Dries Clear Adhesive
- Iridescent Gold Glimmer Mist
- Diluted White Paint for spattering
- Ribbons and Keys from my stash