Heartfelt Creations Alumni Blog Hop: Butterfly Medley Birthday Card Tutorial
Hello, Friends! Welcome to the February 2016 Heartfelt Creations Alumni Blog Hop. I have a sunshine yellow Butterfly Medley Birthday card tutorial to share with you today. You should have come here from Eemelia’s lovely blog. If so you are right on track. Just in case you are lost, here’s a link to the Alumni Team that is participating in this hop:
Caroline Duncan ♥ Amarilys Doria ♥ Ujjwal Gupta ♥ Vicki Dutcher ♥ Glenda Brooks ♥ Gloria Stengel ♥ Regina M. Hamilton ♥ Gini Williams Cagle ♥ Sarah Miller ♥ Emilia van den Heuvel ♥ Kathy Clement (You are HERE) ♥ Alissa Wells ♥ Lisa Allen
Be sure to visit each blog along the way and leave a lovely comment, because one comment from one of the above blogs will be randomly chosen to receive a $25 gift certificate from Heartfelt Creations. The winner will be announced on Saturday, February 27th and will have 24 hours to contact EmmaLou@heartfeltcreations.us to claim the prize.
There’s something about a sunshine yellow card in the middle of winter that just lifts the spirit. In making this 5″ x 7″ side fold card, I combined Butterfly Medley papers, dies and stamps with the Delightful Daisy stamps and dies. I love how cheery this card is!
I layered designer papers up with a pretty Decorative Oval die cut that I popped up on foam dots to add extra depth to the card. It’s hard to see in this photo, but I stamped the white space in the designer paper with the Large Elegant Word Background Stamp before adding the die cut.
The flowers were stamped onto white cardstock using Mustard Seed Distress Ink followed by heat embossing. Once they were shaped and layered, I painted the petals and leaves with Clear Rock Candy Distress Paint and filled the centers with Czech beads.
There’s a fair amount of distressing and inking on the card layers. I layered a sentiment ticket up with a small image from the cut apart page , then added a couple of little banner flags for fun. In this photo, you can see the belly band I created with the Chevron Ribbon and 1.5″ White Crocheted Lace.
And you have to have a lemony fresh bow on a card like this one, so I used this pretty Yellow Chevron Striped Twill to the side of my sentiment panel. Love this ribbon!
The inside of the card uses stacked layers of designer paper with plenty of room to add your own hand written birthday greeting.
You’ll find a complete supply list and tutorial below. Now hop on over to see what Alissa has cooked up for you this month!
Thanks for stopping by!
Butterfly Medley Birthday Card Tutorial
- white cardstock
- Butterfly Medley Paper Collection
- Butterfly Medley Stamp
- Butterfly Medley Die
- Delightful Daisy Stamp
- Delightful Daisy Die
- Decorative Oval Die
- Mustard Seed Distress ink
- Clear Embossing Powder
- Carved Pumpkin Distress Ink
- Peeled Paint Distress Ink
- Ranger Clear Rock Candy Distress Paint
- Czech Beads
- 1.5″ Crocheted Lace
- Tim Holtz Ideology Memo Pin
- Distressing Tool
- Deluxe Flower Shaping Tool Kit
- Art Institute Dries Clear Adhesive
- Create a 5″ x 7″ side fold card from white cardstock
- Cut a 4.75″ x 6.75″ panel of polka dot paper from the Butterfly Medley Collection. Distress the edges and ink with Mustard Seed and Vintage Photo Distress Inks.
- Cut the 5″ x 7″ card panel from the paper collection. Trim off the outer edge so that the polka dot edge is now the outer edge.
- Stamp the white oval center with the Elegant Word Background stamp and Mustard Seed Distress Ink. Heat Emboss. Distress edges, ink with Mustard Seed DI. Curl edges. Center on the polka dot paper panel and glue in place. Wrap with white crocheted lace and chevron ribbon. Glue to the card base.
- Die cut the Decorative Oval from white cardstock and adhere with foam dots.
- Cut the small decorative panel from the paper collection. Mat onto white cardstock. Adhere to card on an angle, gluing the bottom portion directly to the card base, but using foam dots to raise the top edge.
- Stamp 2 sets of Delightful Daisies onto white cardstock using Mustard Seed DI. Heat emboss with clear powder. Die cut, shape and stack. Sponge the edges lightly with ink. Color the leaves with Peeled Paint Distress ink. Use hot glue to secure to card as shown.
- Stamp Butterfly Medley with Carved Pumpkin Distress Ink. Heat emboss and die cut. Shape the wings and add to the flower cascade as shown. Paint the petals and butterfly wings with Clear Rock Candy Distress Ink. Add Czech beads to the flower centers.
- Cut out the sentiment ticket and mat onto white cardstock. Add to the card using the Tim Holtz memory pin.
- Tie a bow with the Yellow Chevron Twill and use hot glue to secure to the card.
- Cut out papers in varying sizes to line the inside of the card.
Wonderful design and colors!
Thank you, Sondra! I think we are all ready for a burst of sunshine in February!
So pretty… Beautiful butterflies and even more beautiful flowers!!
Beautiful card, I love the wonderful layers!
So cheery ..love the flowers
Your designs are always over the top Kathy and this one is no exception. Love everything about it!
Such a beautiful card!! Love the flowers!! The ribbon and the colors are gorgeous!
Your flowers look stunning
Lots of layer and the end result is so fabulous
What a lovely spring card this is, Kathy! Wow! Love those yellows and spring greens. It says happy all over!
Beautiful card. Love the flowers and bow.
So cheerful and lovely. Your layering, flowers, beads in flower centers and upper left tie so well! And that bow! I need bow lessons. And the inside! I am swooning over it all! Thank you for all your creative efforts shared.
Simple gorgeous! We are having a very dreary day here on the East Coast and your card just makes you think of the spring and that hopefully its not far off. Yellow is such a happy color and your accent colors are just perfect. Love the Czech beads for flower centers.
Gorgeous with all the yellow flowers and the big bow.
What a beautiful birthday card. I love all those yellow flowers. They are gorgeous!
How lovely! I love all the great layers, including the beads over the distressed corner!
This is just beautiful. Your flowers are amazing, as is your design and color palette. Thanks for the great inspiration!!
Love your card Kathy! Love all the details and your flowers are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
Wow gorgeous card xx
A beautiful card — so bright and sunny with that cheerful yellow palette.
Lovely layering and use of the images
Beautiful layers! I love the bow and the sparkly centers on the flowers! Gorgeous!
So very pretty and love
the shaped flowers and
Carla from Utah
Very pretty Kathy. That lemon chevron ribbon is gorgeous! Love the pretty flowers that you made and then added some little extras to them. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Kathy, WOW! spring is shinning all over here. i love that gorgeous yellow ribbon. and those bright sunny flowers, they pop with beauty. I usually use yellow as an accent, but love how you used the bright yellow here. super…..have a good day.
Ahhhhh!! What a breath of spring! It makes me long for the real butterflies that will be fluttering and landing on fresh garden flowers! This card is so sweet. Love the yellows! The papers are gorgeous and the sweet yellow flowers and green leaves you’ve used on the front of the card is so pretty. They totally make the whole card! Your layering is always just fantastic!
I love your card Kathy! Beautiful layers and gorgeous flowers!
This is so full of goodness! This will cheer anyone up! Hugs
Beautiful as all your creations. Congratulations.
I love this cheerful card, Kathy! It gives me ideas for my yellow papers and ribbon! Thank you for sharing!
Your card just screams Spring to me. The wonderful yellows are so cheerful and such beautiful ribbon. You know I’m a huge fan, right?
Stunning card! All the attention you did for details shows. Great idea to pile on some seed beads at the corner where you rolled/distressed the paper back. And your flowers are just gorgeous!
Gorgeous as always! The yellow is so cheerful and that ribbon is stunning! Thanks for brightening up my cloudy, snow filled day with this bit of sunshine!