Carta Bella Christmas Market Rustic Cardinal Mixed Media Card
Hello, Friends! This Christmas Market Rustic Cardinal Mixed Media Card celebrates my favorite winter bird. I just love the way a cardinal’s bright red plumage brightens up a dreary winter day. And they have such a cheery song. So when I found this vintage rusted cardinal embellishment in a local flea market, I just had to add it to my stash!
This is a simple 7″ x 5″ top fold card base. Stitch together layers of the patterned papers to create the background. Then get your Mixed Media Boots out of the Closet of Shame and have fun!
Christmas Market Rustic Cardinal
I decided to take Carta Bella’s Christmas Market into the woods this time. Our son kindly cut me some thin-ish slices from a Bradford pear that fell in their front yard. This one is about 1/2″ thick and about 4″ in diameter. Here’s how I created this rustic cardinals lofty perch:
- Begin by thinning white gesso with a little water. Then brush lightly over the surface of the wood slice. Don’t forget the bark! The white gesso will immediately winterize the wood.
- Next, while the gesso dries, die cut a whole pile of festive greenery. I like to use scraps of designer paper for this as the patterns add interest to the grouping. This time, I used Tim Holtz Skeleton Leaves and Mini Greenery. (Links below)
- Once the gesso is dry, tap the surface of the wood slice randomly with Versamark Embossing Ink.
- Now, sprinkle the surface with Seth Apter Blizzard Baked Texture and heat emboss.
- TIP: Keep heat embossing until the Baked Texture melts completely. These chunky powders can take a while to fully blossom. You can stop at any point, of course, but I really baked this one, and I loved the effect. Experiment and find the perfect stopping point for your personal taste.
- Next, tap the cooled surface with Art Institute Dries Clear Adhesive. Then immediately sprinkle with Rajni Chawla’s Crystal Clear. Looks just like freshly fallen snow!
- TIP: cut a piece from a make-up sponge to dab on the adhesive. Rinse and re-use!
- Pile on the greener, then tuck in your cardinal and berries.
Christmas Market Rustic Cardinal: A Peek Inside
Here’s a fun way to use washi tape to hold a honey stick in place! And who wouldn’t love a buffalo plaid treat pocket?
Chocolate, tea and honey? Sa-weet! So you get eye candy and tummy candy all in one!
I think this card would be gorgeous on a Christmas mantel or side table, too. In real life, it glistens and sparkles like fresh fallen snow. You can find this one in my ETSY shop!
I hope I shared some tips, tricks and techniques that you can use in your next crafty adventure. If so, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Thanks for stopping by!
- Carta Bella Christmas Market
- Mixed Media
- Ribbon: 3/8″ Red Satin Swiss Dots
- Flowers and embellies from my stash