Graphic 45 Cottage Life Card Tutorial for Make & Take Tuesday
Hello, Friends! This Graphic 45 Cottage Life Card Tutorial is our Make & Take Tuesday project for this week. I had used this lovely collection to fill a special order for a mini album back in April. Since I had quite a few scraps left over, I decided we’d make a card using only the offcuts from that project. I did allow myself to use ribbon, flowers, and some paper pretties from Reneabouquets to finish out the card design. But all the papers had already been cut. Fun challenge? I thought so!
Tips for Working with Scraps
As you’ll see in the video tutorial below, the first thing I do when I am going to create a card from scraps is to organize them. First, create little piles so that all the off cuts from one pattern are together. Then go in and arrange them by size. This way, you can really see what you have to work with. It’s also easier to select patterns and images that work well together when you do this step first.
What do you do when you only have a small image to work with and it seems to disappear on the page? Here are a few good ideas:
- Try placing a doily or chipboard piece behind the image. This will draw the eye to it and make it more visible.
- Or, frame the image, as I did here. A frame is always a good idea, but especially helpful when you have a small image to work with.
- This Reneabouquets Flower Lady really draws the eye to the small floral cottage in the background. She becomes part of the “story” . Did she just come from the garden? Is she going to join a friend for tea in the cottage?
Small details like this gorgeous butterfly help to frame the image, too.
A Peek Inside
The inside of this card is also quite lovely. I’ve added a tea bag and honey stick to the pocket on the right. Then I layered up more scraps and created a little blank sentiment panel on the left.
Cottage Life Card Tutorial on YouTube
If you’d like to see how this card came together, please enjoy this video tutorial.
I hope I shared some tips, tricks, ideas and inspiration that you can use in your next crafty adventure! If you’d like to see previous Make & Take Tuesday Tutorials, please click HERE.
You’ll find a linked supply list below this post.
Thanks for stopping by!
- Graphic 45 Cottage Life
- 3/8″ Coral Rose Mini Check Ribbon
- Iridescent Metallic String