Graphic 45 Fairie Wings Shaker Card Folio for Frilly and Funkie
Hello, Friends! Welcome to the first Frilly and Funkie Challenge of 2018! I trust you had a happy and healthy holiday. Today I’m sharing a Graphic 45 Fairie Wings Shaker Card Folio made with the whimsical new Fairie Dust Collection. Before we take a look at it, let’s see what Cec, our gracious challenge hostess has to say about the theme for this first challenge of 2018.
Three Is Not a Crowd!
Create a vintage or shabby chic project that includes three of something. Examples of three of something could be three different patterned papers, three colours, three layers, three flowers, three bows – the list goes on. This would be a perfect time to use some of the new supplies you received for Christmas or to make space in your stash by using up old supplies. Just remember to think in multiples of three.
Fairie Wings Shaker Card Folio: The Power of Three
I found a whole host of ways to add threes to this card:
- Create each layering element with 3 layers: designer paper, dark amethyst and light amethyst cardstock.
- Cluster flowers in groups of 3.
- Create a triple layer bow.
- Add 3 butterflies to the cover of the card.
Fairie Wings Shaker Card Folio: Creating the Shaker Element
To create this shaker element:
- First die cut 2 Tim Holtz Ornate Frames from chipboard packaging.
- Then paint one frame with Prima Heavy Black Gesso.
- Next cover the other frame with embossing ink.
- Now sprinkle the embossing ink with Emerald Creek Charred Gold Embossing Powder and heat set.
- Now, glue the black gessoed frame directly to the Fairie Dust ephemera card.
- Then, place the embossed frame over a sheet of clear acetate cardstock. Use a sharpie pen to make little marks around the outside edge of the center oval.
- Next, cut out the acetate using the sharpie marks as a guide. I cut just inside the marks so that they would not show. The oval does not have to be perfect. Just slightly larger than the inside of the frame. Glue this acetate to the back side of the gold embossed frame. Let it dry completely.
Fairie Wings Shaker Card Folio: Stick to It!
This is the laborious, tedious part of making the shaker element. Work on top of the black frame that is glued to the card base.
- First, carefully place small pieces of foam (foam dots or foam tape) around the inside edge of the frame. Try to be as careful as you can with placement, as you don’t want the foam to show through the frame.
- Place a second layer of foam over the first.
- Next, use a black sharpie pen or alcohol marker to color the tops of the foam. This will make any little parts that might show less visible.
- Finally, fill the cavity with your shaker elements.
- I used Art Institute Dries Clear Glue to attach the two frames together.
- Use Charred Gold Embossing Powder on the pocket watch, then add the sticker from Fairie Dust Sticker Sheet.
Fairie Wings Shaker Card Folio: A Peek Inside
I carried the Three is Not a Crowd theme over to the inside of the card folio. Here’s how:
- Create 3 pockets (one is hidden)
- Add 3 little tags in the largest pocket
- Design a tri fold fold out element for the top half of the card.
The tri fold element is attached to the inside cover with Scor-Tape. The ribbon closure holds everything together nice and neat. Open the folder to find a series of decorated panels. There is a tuck spot for three teeny tiny tags. I used one of the glassine envelopes that Linda ships small charms and turned it into a fairie dust envelope. And then, there’s the hidden pocket with a little chocolate treat.
Each little tag is adorned with a charm from the Funkie Junkie Boutique.
Two of the tags are made with images from the sticker sheet.
I love this happy, dancing fairy! Her dress and wings shimmer. It must be that she has been playing in the fairy dust.
Three Is Not a Crowd: Now it’s YOUR turn
You are cordially invited to join in on this Three Is Not a Crowd Challenge. Simply create a vintage or shabby chic styled project that celebrates the power of 3 as outlined in the challenge description. Then link your project up on the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog before 11:59PM EST on Tuesday, January 16th.
The Frilly and Funkie team will choose our top four picks. Our top pick will be invited to join us as a Guest Designer at Frilly and Funkie. And the next three winners will receive Top 3 badges to display on their blogs. Everyone who enters and follows the rules will be entered into the draw to have the chance to win a $25 spending spree at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.
Find all the details and link up your post HERE.
Hop on over to the Frilly and Funkie Blog for more inspiration. You’ll find all the challenge details, and see what the rest of the Frilly team has prepared for you. Next week, the Funkie side of the team will share their challenge projects, so you’ll want to check back again then.
I can’t wait to see what you make!
Thanks for stopping by!
Products From The Funkie Junkie Boutique
I always look forward to seeing your amazing shaker folios Kathy and this is no exception. The adoreable fairies make it even more magical! xx
So, so much to capture the heart and imagination here Kathy! Always love your shaker folios and this is such a special and magical one with all those darling fairies xx
Kathy, this is such a fabulous project and showpiece for the fairy collection. I love the amethyst base color and lovely layered embellishments! The shaker is so beautiful and fun! The three tags are great details as well. You always amaze and inspire me! Hugs, Autumn
Love it! Beautifully creative.
What did you use in the shaker part of the card?
Hi, Melissa! I used a mix of sequins, tiny beads, glitter, little buttons and chipboard circles from the collection. Hope that helps!
Wow! You have outdone yourself with this one!
This is a gorgeous card! Right up my alley! Thank you for the inspiration!
Fabulous! The entire project is whimsically beautiful! I love the pretty purples and images which are delightful. Gorgeous design!
Another spectacular card, both inside and out. I love how you found so many ways to think in multiples of three. The details and the colour palette are stunning.
Wow, wow, wow!!!! the colors, the detail and it’s a shaker!!! Stunning! Love the way you arranged the flowers around that eye catching frame. TFS, xo
Well Kathy….absolutely luv those colors together! And sorry … I wasn`t ever really a fan of the fairies stuff … before! But that card may of changed my mind! How could it not? With all those tags and pockets and did I say colors! Lol! And a shaker to boot! Wow! Thanks so much and what a start for the new year! Hugs to you.
Such a beautiful card! I love the Faerie Dust Collection by G45 so much! Your card really makes it shine like the star it is! TFS!
Plunk! That’s me tipped from my chair! Gosh, Kathy, this is just SO incredibly lovely and detailed! I adore the fairy theme, but what takes the cake for me is that shaker frame! Whoa! How fun and the embossing is stunning! You have certainly worked your magic on every SINGLE detail! Sending warm hugs; I know you need them!
PS Lauren is headed to Cary tomorrow, and I tried to hitch a ride with her, so I could come visit, but she wasn’t having ANY of that! Turns out she may not get to go, if there is ice on the road.
Hi Kathy. Such a beautiful creation! Just wanted to say Happy New Year!! I hope you and yours had a wonderful holiday! Thank you so much for all of your inspiration in 2017. May 2018 be a year of crafting, friendship and good health!! sending hugs 🙂
Beautiful, and so fun!
…starting the year off with a adorable shaker…how wonderful. Love’n your work. Hugs