Graphic 45 Sneak Peeks: By the Sea Mini Album
Hello, Friends! It’s Graphic 45 Sneak Peeks week! What fun! The beach is my happy place, so I was thrilled when I was asked to create a mini album with By the Sea. This collection has always been a favorite for me, and I’m thrilled to see it coming back as a Deluxe Collector’s Edition.
I decided to try something new with this Graphic 45 Staples Kraft Mixed Media Album. To shake up my album cover design, I placed the 4″ x 6″ lighthouse image inside a shaker pouch. I just love the way the sequins and beads mimic the look of sunshine sparkling on water. This is probably the easiest way I’ve found to create a shaker element.
- Select your image. I chose to mat mine on some blue gingham check to help it fill the frame.
- Cut a piece of clear acrylic cardstock the same size as your matted image.
- Use a sewing machine to stitch almost all the way around the perimeter of the image. Leave about a 2″ opening in one corner.
- Fill the opening with a sequin mix. (use a funnel tray for mess-free filling) These buttons, beads and sequins are a mix called Shades of Chambray from Lilac Lane.
- Place the shaker pouch back on the sewing machine, line up the needle and finish stitching.
- Back the shaker pouch with a couple of layers of chipboard for stability and to elevate in the design.
Graphic 45 Sneak Peeks: By the Sea Mini Album Details
These Graphic 45 Staples Blue Roses are a perfect color match for this collection. After layering them down the side of the album, I tucked in some altered metal beach charms.
TIP: Paint metal charms with ivory chalk paint, then tap with Graphic 45 Bon Voyage Blue Decades Ink Pad.
Fussy cut shells and real shells come together perfectly with real beach sand. I’ve also painted a Graphic 45 Staples Shabby Chic Door Plate and Knob to match the album.
Dress up the spine with Glory Blue Seam Binding Ribbon, a cluster of beach charms and a Graphic 45 Shabby Chic Clock Key. The lighthouse image was too big to fit the spine, so I carefully cut it in half, pieced it together so that the frame matched up, then adhered it to the base of the spine.
By the Sea Mini Album: The Inside Scoop
TIP: Make a quick and easy pocket for the inside cover. I simply cut my designer paper 3″ longer than the height of the page. Then score, fold and adhere the sides to make an instant pocket. Add border strips to the pocket flap for extra fun.
TIP: The vellum pages in the album are so beautiful…but delicate! To prevent them from tearing, stitch the vellum to a piece of heavy kraft cardstock. Fill the space between the pages with more of the sequin mix for a fun surprise.
TIP: Make quick pockets by adhering just the top, bottom and one side of patterned paper to the album page. Now you can tuck in photo mounts. Decorate with fussy cut images from the signature page.
By the Sea Mini Album: Tuck Spots, Inserts and Flaps
I removed several pages from the album before I began this project. Then I cut and scored them to create pocket inserts throughout the album.
Border strips make great tuck spots! And you can easily create a space for pull out elements. Just adhere sides and bottom of your patterned paper, leaving the top edge open.
TIP: Create a watery background on the vellum pages. Apply Bon Voyage Blue Decades Ink directly to the vellum. Spritz lightly with water to activate the ink and make it move. Heat dry. Then stitch the pages together as before.
TIP: Create tuck spots by adhering just the outer edge of a journal card to the album page. Photos can tuck behind, and you have a lovely spot for journaling.
TIP: To create a quick and easy side pocket, cut patterned paper 2″ wider than the page. Score, fold and adhere.
By the Sea Mini Album Tour on Youtube
Here’s a little video tour with tips and ideas:
I’m so excited that this album will be on display in the G45 Booth at Creativation this week. I hope I’ve shared some tips and tricks that you can adapt for your own mini album making adventures.
Thanks for stopping by!
Graphic 45 Supplies:
- By the Sea Deluxe Collector’s Edition
- Kraft Mixed Media Album
- Metal Beach Themed Charms from my stash
- Ivory Chalk Paint
- Glory Blue Seam Binding Ribbon
- Buttons Galore and More Shades of Chambray Lilac Lane Shaker Mix
- Seashells and sand from my stash
- Foam Tape, Scoring Tool, Bone Folder
- Sewing Machine