Crafty Secrets September Linky Challenge and Blog Hop: Halloween Photo Flip Album Tutorial
Hello, Friends! It’s the first Monday in September and that means it is time for the Crafty Secrets Linky Challenge and Blog Hop. We have a frightfully fun theme this month: Too Cute to Spook! You can visit the Crafty Secrets BLOG to see sneak peeks from our Spook-tacular Design Team with links to all their fabulous Halloween projects and tutorials. If you should choose to play along with us this month, we even have FREE DIGITAL DOWNLOADS for you to use in your projects. And what’s a Blog Hop without prizes? One lucky participant is going to win a $25 shopping spree to the Crafty Secrets online store! Sound like fun? Well, it is! So let’s get this Blog Hop on the road!
Halloween Photo Flip Album Tutorial
This Halloween Photo Flip Album is a design I adapted from my buddy Gloria Stengel’s blog. Here’s a peeky at the inside:
The album measures 5″ wide, x 8.5″ tall, with a 1″ spine. It has a side pocket for holding tags or photos and 8 double-sided 4×4 photo mounts. It’s a great place to store your Halloween party photos and can be adapted for any occasion.
All the papers I used are from the Crafty Secrets Digital Jumbo Vintage Halloween Kit. This kit is loaded to the gills with amazing papers, ephemera, templates, frames and printable images. I use some of the papers in this kit all year long, and I highly recommend it. I also added in a few little images from the Halloween Vintage Scraps, which are now available in digital format. I also used a few bits and pieces from our Vintage Halloween Images and Journal Notes Booklet.
In addition to the above items, you will also need:
- Two sheets of medium weight chipboard cut to measure 4.75″ x 8.25″
- One strip of medium weight chipboard cut to measure 3/4″ x 8.25″
- Three sheets of 12″ x 12″ black cardstock
- Art Institute Dries Clear Adhesive OR 1/4″ Scor-Tape or other strong adhesive
- Foam adhesive
- Ultra Thick Embossing Powder (UTEE)
- Versamark Embossing Ink Pad
- Black soot Stickles
- Black Satin Ribbon and orange ribbon scraps
- Petaloo Flower
- Felt leaves
- Spellbinder’s Large Standard Circle Die
- Spellbinder’s Magnificent Circles Die
- Cajun Craze Cardstock from Stampin’ Up or other dark orange cardstock (two sheets/8.5″ x 11″)
- Black Soot Distress Ink
- 1/2″ wide Scor-tape
- Heat tool
- 1/2″ corner rounder tool
To begin, you will need to print off the following items from the Jumbo Vintage Halloween Kit. Print papers at 8.5″ x 11″ unless otherwise noted.
- Book Covers (print TWO at 5″ x 7″)
- Black and White Check paper
- Halloween Talk (Print 8.5x 11 inches in a LANDSCAPE orientation)
- Halloween Diamonds
- Orange/Black Diamond (Print TWO)
- Black Check
- Black Damask
- Black and Orange Stars
- Green Stripe
- Halloween Diamonds
- Orange Script
- Washi Tape
- Masquerade (print ONE at 4″ x 4″)
- Night Scene (print ONE at 4″ x 4″)
- Orange Music (print ONE at 4″ x 4″)
- Scor-Pal or other scoring tool
Creating the Halloween Photo Flip Album Base
- Trim one sheet of black cardstock to measure 12″ wide by 10″ tall.
- From the long side, score from left to right at 0.5″, 5.5″, 6.5″, 11.5″ .
- Turn 90 degrees (the 10″ side) and score the top at .75″ and on the bottom at 9.25″
- Crease all the folds, then trim the corners as seen in the photo below.
- Glue the pre-cut chipboard pieces onto the back side of your paper, as seen here, being sure to leave a little break on either side of the spine so that your album will open and close with ease.
- Add glue or Scor-tape along the edges as seen here.
- Trim the Halloween Talk paper to measure 10.5″ x 8″
- Ink the edges with Black Soot Distress Ink. Center and glue on the inside of your book cover, making sure to crease on either side of the spine.
- Cut two panels of Orange and Black Diamonds paper to measure 4.5″ x 8″. Mat onto slightly larger Cajun Craze cardstock, trim and stitch around the edges if desired. One piece is your front cover, and one is your back. But do not adhere yet!
- Cut one strip of Orange and Black Diamonds Paper to measure 7/8″ x 8″. Mat onto slightly larger Cajun Craze cardstock. This is your spine.
- Add brads to top and bottom of the spine. Glue onto the spine of your album cover.
- Cut 24″ of 1″ wide black satin ribbon.
- Laying your album face up on your work surface, add 1/2″ wide Scor-Tape from side to side at the midway point of your album. Center the black satin ribbon on this adhesive strip and burnish to secure. (See photo below)
- Glue the front and back covers into place.
Creating the Halloween Photo Flip Album Cover Embellishment
- Ink the edges of one of the 5″ x 7″ book covers with Black Soot Distress Ink and mat on to slightly larger black cardstock.
- Fussy cut the medallion from the other book cover. Use a Spellbinder’s Circle die to cut the pumpkin center from the middle of the medallion.
- Tap the fussy cut medallion and the die cut circle with Versamark ink. Sprinkle with UTEE and heat emboss. Repeat to create an epoxy finish on both items.
- Use the Spellbinder’s Magnificent Circles Die to create a medallion backing for the die cut circle. Glue together, and add a brad to the center if you desire. I coated the black medallion with Black Soot Stickles.
- Place the epoxy medallion over the matted book cover using foam adhesive to secure.
- Place a double layer of foam adhesive on the back of the circle piece and glue in place.
- Create a black satin bow and use a glue gun to secure to the right hand side of the book cover. Add a flower on top.
Creating the inside of the album
To create the side pocket:
- Cut a 5″ x 6″ rectangle from black cardstock
- Measure 1.5″ from the left hand top edge and make a mark.
- From the right hand bottom edge, measure up 2.5″ and make a mark.
- Use a ruler to draw a diagonal line between these two marks and trim off the resulting corner piece.
- Cut a 4.25″ x 5.25″ rectangle from the Halloween Diamonds Paper. Trim the corner as you did above. Mat onto the black cardstock.
- Score 1/2 inch along the left side and the bottom.
- Crease and miter the corners.
- Glue the flap on the left and the flap on the bottom into the left hand page of your album.
- Decorate the pocket as desired and fill with tags that are cut from the Halloween Vintage Scraps.
Create a base for your flip album as follows:
- Cut a 4″ x 7 3/4″ panel of black cardstock and cover with a slightly smaller piece of the Halloween Diamonds paper. Center this and glue down on the left hand side of the page. This is where you will mount your flip pages.
- 8 squares of black cardstock to measure 4″ wide by 4.5″ tall
- Score the top of each square 1/2″ from the top to form a 4″ square
- Round the two bottom corners of each square with a 1/2″ corner rounder tool
- Cut 16 squares from designer paper to measure 3 7/8″ .
- Round the bottom corners
- Ink the edges with Black Soot.
- Glue onto the fronts and backs of the black rectangles, being sure that the patterns are right side up.
Assembling the flip pages:
- Stack all the pages in order on your desk so that the 1/2″ fold line is folded behind each square.
- Pick up your first page, and starting at the very top, apply glue to the scored and folded tab.
- Line it up straight, and glue down so that it forms a “hinge” . See the photo above.
- Take the next page, and lining the “hinge” up at the bottom edge of the previous hinge, glue into place. Do not overlap the edge of the previous hinge, or your pages won’t flip open properly.
- Continue until all 8 squares are glued down as shown.
To create a journaling pocket, cut a postcard from the Halloween Vintage scraps and glue down the side and bottom edges, leaving the top edge open. Insert a journaling tag from the Halloween Image booklet into the pocket.
Well, if you are still with me, give yourself a pat on the back! That was a long tutorial, I know…but I think you will have loads of fun building this little flip album.
Now, go visit the rest of the girls on the hop:
Visit the Crafty Secrets BLOG for all the deets on joining the Crafty Secrets Linky challenge and to download your fun free images!
Thanks for hopping by!