Heartfelt Creations May 2021 Alumni Blog Hop: Sweet Magnolia Shaker Card
Hello, Friends! Welcome to the Heartfelt Creations May 2021 Alumni Blog Hop! The hop starts here and continues through Monday, May 31 at 11:55 PM EDT. Get ready for loads of crafty inspiration, tips, tricks and ideas as you hop along with the Heartfelt Creations Alumni Team.
One comment from a mystery blog will be chosen to win a $25 Heartfelt Creations Gift Card! So be sure to visit all the blogs in the hop. Get inspired, leave some crafty love behind, and maybe you will be the lucky winner.
The winner will be announced on the Heartfelt Creations Blog and Facebook page on Wednesday, June 2nd. If you are the winner, please claim your prize by emailing email@example.com. Please write “Winner of the May 2021 Alumni Blog Hop” in the subject line of your e-mail. You will have 72 hours from the time the winner is announced to claim your prize.
Now let’s talk about how I made this Sweet Magnolia Shaker Card as my inspiration piece for the hop.
Sweet Magnolia Shaker Card: The Basics
- First, cut (2) 5″ x 8 1/2″ panels from cream cardstock. Overlap the 5″ ends about 1/4″ and adhere with Dries Clear Adhesive.
- Now place this long panel on your scoring tool and score at 7″ and 7 3/4″. Fold along the 3/4″ score line and score again at 7″ and 7 3/4″. This flap will become a box pocket on the inside of the card.
- Next, cut a 4 7/8″ x 6 7/8 panel of designer paper from the Sweet Magnolia paper pad. This will be the card front. But don’t glue it down until after the card is completed.
The Shaker Element
Now we will create the shaker element.
- First, die cut the Heartfelt Creations Decorative Circle Frame from cream cardstock. Use the largest circle insert to create the opening.
- Now, use the largest Circle Basics Large Die to cut a piece of clear cardstock. Adhere this to the back of the Decorative Circle Frame with Dries Clear Adhesive.
- Next, place 3 rows of 1/8″ foam strips around the opening.
- Then place your shaker mix on the panel of designer paper that was cut in the previous step. Carefully align the shaker frame over the shaker mix and gently press in place.
Making the Sweet Magnolia Blossoms
Now we get to do the fun part! Make some Sweet Magnolia Blooms to adorn your shaker element.
- First, stamp 4 sets of Magnolia Blooms and Leaves on Flower Specialty Paper. I used Memento London Fog Ink for the flowers and Library Green Archival ink for the leaves.
- Now sponge on a little Shell Pink Adirondack Ink in the center and along the edges of each Magnolia Blossom Layer. If you don’t have Shell Pink, substitute the palest shade of pink ink from your stash.
- Sponge the leaves with Olive Archival Ink.
- Then die cut the flower layers and leaves using the Sweet Magnolia Dies.
- Place the flower layers and leaves in the 3-D embossing tray and run through your die cutting machine following your machine’s sandwich guidelines.
- Pierce the center of each blossom with the piercing tool and thread with large stamens.
- Stack the layers and secure with adhesive.
TIP: Add a touch of shine with Nuvo Toasted Almond Mousse. Place a small amount on your non-stick surface, spritz with water and paint on with a brush.
A Peek Inside
Here’s a look at the inside of the card. Notice how I used the frame from the Decorative circle on the top. This creates a nice space to write a personal message.
The box pocket on the bottom of the card is a tea party for one. Tea, cookies, chocolate, honey, a little note card and a lovely vintage demitasse spoon turn this card into a gift. If you don’t know how to create a box pocket, you can find a tutorial HERE.
On With the Hop!
Now hop on over and see what paper pretties Carole has in store for you. You’ll find the complete blog hop list below:
Kathy – YOU ARE HERE
You’ll find a linked supply list below this post.
To leave a comment: Click on the blue REPLIES link just below the title at the top of this page.
I hope I’ve shared some tips, tricks and ideas you can use in your next crafty adventure! Thanks so much for hopping by!
- Heartfelt Creations
- Sweet Magnolia Collection
- 12×12 Paper Pad
- Sweet Magnolia Blooms Cling Stamps
- Matching Sweet Magnolia Blooms Dies
- Shaping Mold
- Circle Basics Large Dies
- Decorative Circle Frames
- Specialty Flower Making Paper
- Deluxe Flower Shaping Tools
- Sponge Daubers
- Clear Cardstock
- Dries Clear Adhesive
- 1/8 Foam Strips
- Nuvo Toasted Almond Mousse
- Large Rose Hip Stamens
- Rajni Chawla Crystal Clear Glitter
- Sweet Magnolia Collection
- Really Reasonable Ribbon
- Shaker Mix
Hello Kathy, I love your card, i think adding buttons for shaker was a excellent choice. i was home for holiday weekend cutting out magnolias when i came across this post. I appreciate you sharing this wonderful card with us.
Kathy, I just love seeing your creations. Your shaker card is amazing. Love all the details. Thanks for sharing with us.
Hi Kathy, love your card, another beautiful creation x
Great shaker card, Kathy! I love the flowers and I can almost smell those huge southern magnolia blossoms! Great idea to use the leftovers from the frame on the inside top flap–I would have never guessed. And that’s a beautiful spoon! Always so much inspiration here! Big hugs!
What a beautiful shaker card! Love the use of buttons in there – unique and a nice touch.
I’ve always had trouble with shaker cards. Your directions should be helpful, and the card is fabulous!
Hi Kathy! I just love all of your shaker cards, they all look like so much fun!!! I also love the shaker mix you used, it’s just the right color. Thank you again for all of your inspiration, my sweet friend. Blessings and hugs!! xx
Love your card! Its very beautiful.
I love your colorful Magnolia shaker card; what a great idea!
Beautiful card! Very inspiring!
Your card is amazing! So soft and intricate. Thank you for sharing.
The buttons are a cute idea. I am going to add some to my shaker cards.
I love cards with little surprises in them. Thank you for sharing your sweet card idea.
Wow, your gift card is absolutely stunning.. Love when I find a card I can use some of my stash like the buttons in a shaker. Never thought of that.
This shaker card is amazing! I have a special birthday card to create this weekend and I think this card front tutorial will be very helpful. I will use small wiĺd rose because I don’t have sweet magnolia. Thank you for sharing.
As always, a stunning card. I’ve just got to try a card with all the goodies inside.
Beautiful flowers and I like the buttons in the shaker mix.
Kathy, your cards are always so beautiful. This one does not disappoint. I love the surprises on the inside.
What a great idea to use buttons in the shaker window. The flowers are beautiful, too!
Oh how I love magnolia blooms. We had so many trees in Galveston and the blooms were so pretty. Your card is stunning! The shaker frame is gorgeous and the button elements are absolute eye candy! Heartfelt Creations always has the most lovely paper collections with their soft colors and pretty designs. Of course the inside of your card as always is such a delight especially with your delectable treats. Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a wonderful, safe Memorial Day weekend! Hugs!
Love love love your shaker card and a fabulous idea to use the buttons. Can’t wait to watch the tutorial and try it myself!❤
As always, yours is a stunner, Kathy!! A beautiful shaker card. The Magnolias are amazing!! And the inside of the card is just so sweet! Anyone would be so lucky to get this card!!
I haven’t done a shaker card in quite a while. This has me itching to do one!
You manage to pour more interesting little tidbits into your shakers…always interesting to see what’s in there…fun for anyone to receive! Nicely designed card. Can’t believe how many alumni are participating this month!!
Love these designs and colors.
Wow the creativity & beauty. Nice job!!
Such a sweet shaker card!
What a fabulous card Kathy! Your magnolias are exquisite! I can’t wait to try them like this.
Oh this is so beautiful!! You make the sweetest cards!! This one is no exception! A tea drinking recipient would be delighted to get a card like this!! Lovely!!
So fun and I have a lot of antique buttons!
This just makes me happy! Not sure but I think it’s the flowers, no wait, maybe the sparkle in the window. Anyway I’m happy!
It’s such a beautiful button shaker tea card, I like the idea for a tea party favor.
So fun with all the buttons!
Kathy – such a beautiful card, and I love your flowers – colors in this project is so pretty – thank you again for sharing your talent!!
This is another stunning card Kathy. I really love the shaker buttons of the various sizes. I say this a lot but you are such an amazing creator of these embellished works of art both inside and out. Be safe, have a great holiday weekend & TYFS
I love my Teddy Bear magnolia tree. Those lovely flowers on your project reminds me of the lovely scent when near the tree. As usual learned something new, tip on using the Toasted Almond Mouse. (Sound like a good name for an ice cream…). You make such lovely shaker cards and of course your signature “goodies” tucked inside are always a welcome treat.
So very pretty!!
Love this card, can’t wait to try it. Thank you for a great idea.
Love your card Kathy. The colors and all of the shaker elements are so cheerful.