This hop is now closed. The winner, chosen from Vicki Dutcher’s blog, is SandiB.
Heartfelt Creations Rustic Sunflower Card Folio for the HC Alumni Hop
Hello, Friends! Welcome to the Heartfelt Creations September 2018 Alumni Hop! The shorter days of autumn are upon us and soon the leaves will begin to fall. This Heartfelt Creations Rustic Sunflower Card Folio is rich with autumn hues, texture and rustic charm.
Acorns, turning leaves and brilliant sunflowers are all things that I love. Creating this 5″ x 7″ x 1/2″ card folio was pure joy! Here are the Heartfelt Creations supplies that you will need to make this project:
- Beary Fun Retreat 12×12 Paper Collection
- Classic Sunflower Stamp and Die
- Leafy Accents Stamps, Dies and Shaping Mold
- 3-D Floral Basics Shaping Mold
- Deluxe Flower Shaping Kit
Heartfelt Creations Rustic Sunflower Card Folio: Card Basics
First create your card base with kraft cardstock.
- Begin by cutting two 5″ x 11″ panels from kraft card.
- Then add 1/2″ Scor-Tape or the adhesive of your choice to one of the 5″ ends.
- Next, peel off the liner tape and carefully overlap the other 5″ end over the tape to create one long 5″ x 21 1/2″ panel. Burnish well with a bone folder.
- Now, place the long side of the panel on a scoring tool. Score at 7″.
- Then score at 7 1/2″. Fold and crease with a bone folder.
- Next, place the 7 1/2″ score line into the left hand corner of your scoring tool and score at 7″. Measure off 3″ from that score line and cut away the excess.
- Now you have a 5″ x 7″ card base with a 1/2″ spine and a built in pocket. Pretty sweet, right?
Add your patterned papers as seen in the photo. I stitched the focal image onto a piece of burlap. Be sure to add foam tape or waste chipboard between your card layers to add lots of dimension.
Heartfelt Creations Rustic Sunflower Card Folio: Rustic Sunflowers
To make these rustic sunflowers, follow these easy steps:
- First, use ColorBox Dark Brown Chalk Ink to stamp 2 sets of the Classic Sunflowers on the yellow print paper from the Beary Retreat Center. Heat Emboss with Clear Embossing Powder.
- Next, Die cut the flower layers using the Classic Sunflowers Die.
- Then, Place the flower layers in the 3-D Floral Basics Shaping Mold. You can do up to 3 layers at a time, but be sure to mist each layer before adding the next. Run through your die cutting machine to shape.
- Now, randomly dry brush the petals with Rusty Hinge Distress Paint.
- When the paint is dry, spray the flower layers with Sunflower Sparkle Perfect Pearls and Tattered Angels Bronze Glimmer Mist. Pinch the ends of the petals to give them a rustic, wrinkled tip. Dry with a heat tool
- Now use a ball stylus to shape the center of each sunflower to form a cup.
- Next, layer the flowers together with the adhesive of your choice. I use hot glue.
- Finally, fill the centers with hot glue and Czech beads.
- Stamp, Die Cut, shape and color the leafy accents. Add everything to your card.
Heartfelt Creations Rustic Sunflower Card Folio: The Bow
I added more leafy accents on top of my beautiful blue, cream and gold plaid bow. Then I hot glued on some acorns that I had in my stash, along with some little acorn and leaf charms.
Heartfelt Creations Rustic Sunflower Card Folio: A Peek Inside
I love to make cards that double as gifts. Now you know why I had to add a 1/2″ spine to this card folio!
Turn the flap and you find a little gift card pocket, a place to write a little note, and room to add a photo. I cut the opening in the pocket with a circle die.
After covering out pocket with designer paper from the collection, I simply glued the sides to the card base. This is such an easy way to make a pocket! Then you get to do the fun part: fill the pocket with treats. This is a vintage silver spoon, a little tea bag wallet, and a honey stick to complete the ensemble.
Tuck a pumpkin spice tea bag into the pocket, and your gift is ready to give! I like to wrap these cards up in tissue paper and tie them with ribbon for presentation.
On With the Hop
This blog hop closes on Monday, October 1st at 11:59PM EDT. One lucky comment will be randomly selected from one of the blogs in the hop to win a $25 shopping spree at Heartfelt Creations. We will announce the winner here, on the Heartfelt Creations Facebook Page, and on the Heartfelt Creations Blog on Wednesday, October 3rd. The winner will then have 72 hours to e-mail Heartfelt Creations at firstname.lastname@example.org. Add the words “Winner of the September Alumni Hop” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Now on with the hop!
Kathy (you are HERE) ♥ Amarilys ♥ Vicki ♥ Pam ♥ Piyanki ♥ Archana ♥ Susan
I hope I’ve shared some tips, tricks and ideas that you can use in your own crafty adventures. If so, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Can’t go wrong with sunflowers, Kathy! They were one of my first Heartfelt Creations purchases and I always love working with them. My friends and family love sunflower cards so, seeing what you’ve done with this folio, gives me another way to create something I know they’ll enjoy. tfs
I just pinned this card the other day! There is something about sunflowers and plaids that speak to me this time of year. I just gathered a whole bunch of acorns so happy you showed us a way to include those on a card! Thank you for sharing ❤️
Beautiful. Great idea
Wow I love this! Thank you so much for including all the measurements! I can’t wait to recreate this! My good friend daughter just got married and it was in sunflowers and navy so i am going to make this for her to put pictures in to show of the newly weds! You are so talented.
Perfect for fall.
Hi Kathy, gorgeous card and the sunflowers are just stunning my friend. Yes the weather is changing now and this card is right up there with the season. Always love the inside of your cards just as much as the outside. Take care xx
WOW! Awesome job I love the design.
Wow! I really love this project!
Love this gorgeous card!
Oh my goodness – this is fabulous! Fall is my favorite time of year and this just makes me smile!
Gorgeous! I love the
sunflower and the
acorns and the
stitching on this
Carla from Utah
This is stunning. I love the color variations in the flower and the acorns are so darn cool.
WOW! all I can say first is that I wanna go to my studio and start making Fall cards invites for Thanksgiving, I would like to make a card like this one, love the combination of colors and the flower is stunning I hope that mine will come close to it, but first i need to get that die! LOL Thank You!!
Gorgeous project. Love your rustic, beautiful sunflower, and all the gorgeous details of your project.
Gorgeous card! Love all those layers.
This is so beautiful, Kathy!
I like the rustic look of the whole piece, and the sunflowers look gorgeous and very natural together with the acorns. ❤️
Simply gorgeous. Wonderful tutorial too. Thanks for sharing with us.
Gorgeous as always…those papers are beautiful!
Pinned this beauty! WOW oh WOW!!! I love your stitching!!! You rock! Completely gorgeous right down to the spoon!
This is gorgeous! I love that you used seed beads for the flowers.
Wowser my Friend, this is drop dead gorgeous! you’re amazing!
This is such a beautiful, cheery card. I love how you add the pockets and tuck away spots. The little acorns are so cute! Wonderful job!
Just love these fall colors and super sunflowers. Very pretty.
Oh, Kathy, another beautiful fall creation! I had not seen that collection from Heartfelt Creations. It is lovely! That folio gives me such a cozy warm feeling, your pattern and color combos are so perfect. I am really liking acorns for Fall cards. We have lots of oak trees on the farm and they are dropping their acorns now. When I see one I think of your cards! Thank you for sharing this. As always I was thrilled when I saw it in my email this morning! Hugs!
Mmmmm….this is a reminder that Autumn is already here. Loving the card. Inky hugs
I love this project! I am proud to display it in my kitchen! Thank you so much !! This has to be the best gift ever !!! You are one amazing lady !!!
WOW!!! You never cease to amaze me with your talent and gorgeous creations!!!
I always love your projects. This one is lovely with the fall colors, and I especially like how you made it a gift as well. Such a unique idea with the spoon, tea, honey stick, and chocolate.
Gorgeous creation! The sunflower looks so realistic. Just beautiful. It is time for Cinnamon-Spice tea.
Oh K …this is the most beautiful fall card I’ve ever seen! Just gorgeous! My mom was from the sunflower state of Kansas …so I’ve always been partial to them. Luv the blue accents and the blue check vintage looking ribbon …it really sets it off! And the inside is just as awesome as the outside! Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Suzy Q