This hop is now closed. The randomly chosen winner is DawnMarie. Thanks for hopping!
Heartfelt Creations Wild Aster and Sunflowers Pocket Card for the Alumni Hop
Hello, Friends! Welcome to the Heartfelt Creations Alumni Hop. With fall in full force here in North Carolina, I decided to make this Heartfelt Creations Wild Aster and Sunflowers Pocket Card to share with you this month. It features two of my favorite fall blooms, and one of my favorite fall colors: purple!
Heartfelt Creations Wild Aster and Sunflowers Pocket Card: A Pocket Full of Posies
This 6″ x 8″ top fold card folio is a little larger than my normal 5″ x 7″ base. But it features one of my favorite design techniques: the pocket. Her’e’s how that element came together:
- First, cut a 5 7/8″ x 7 7/8″ base panel using the woodgrain stripe from the Wild Aster Paper Collection. Ink the edges if so desired.
- Next, fussy cut one of the corner designs from the Fall Aster Paper Collection. This panel measures 5 7/8″ wide x about 5 1/2″ tall. Keep the left hand and bottom edges straight, but fussy cut around the floral images on the inside edge to create a pretty shaped pocket.
- Next, position the shaped pocket over your base panel and stitch together on your sewing machine, leaving the shaped edge open to form a pocket.
- Do not adhere the card front to the base panel until the interior of the card has been finished.
Heartfelt Creations Wild Aster and Sunflowers Pocket Card: The Tag Insert
- First, die cut your tag from cream cardstock using the Album Tags and Accents Die.
- Then use the smaller tag die to cut the liner paper from one of the 6″ x 6″ card fronts in the paper collection. So quick and easy! (I also covered the back of my tag with designer paper to add extra thickness and strength.)
- Now, die cut “A Gift for You” from the same cream cardstock using the Ornamental Tags Dies. Adhere to the front of the tag.
- Next, die cut the little gift tag circle using the circle die from Ornamental Tags. Die cut a second circle from a cardstock scrap to add extra strength.
- You will also need to die cut the Lacy Diamond from the same cream paper, along with the little lattice shaped triangle from that die set.
- Finish the pocket with a gorgeous Purple Nite Seam Binding Bow. Then top it with a 3/8″ bow tied with Crosshatch Purple Satin Ribbon and a small sunflower.
Heartfelt Creations Wild Aster and Sunflowers Pocket Card: Making the Flowers
Since sunflowers and asters are both lovely in the fall of the year, I decided to combine them on this tag. I think they look gorgeous together. Here’s how to make the flowers:
- First, stamp and die cut 3 sets of the asters, the aster leaves and 2 sets of the sunflowers. Stamp in Archival Ink (listed below).
- Next, use the Golf Tools to shape the petals, then stack the layers and adhere together with Dries Clear Adhesive.
- Then, use sponge daubers to add ink to the petals .
- Add shine to the asters with Violet Metallic Viva 3-D Stamp Paint. Place a small dab on your craft sheet and pick it up with a makeup sponge, dabbing most of it off on the work surface. Then tap lightly over the petals.
- Now, Fill the centers of the Wild Asters with a puddle of Dries Clear, then sprinkle with Flower Soft to make realistic looking centers.
- Use sponge daubers to color the sunflower petals with Saffron Archival Ink. Then mist the petals lightly with Perfect Pearls Sunflower Sparkle Mist and a touch of Perfect Copper Perfect Pearls Mists. These are both retired products, but you can substitute glimmer mists from your stash.
- Fill the centers of the sunflowers with hot glue, then add glass beads and Expresso-Yourself Prills.
- Now arrange the flowers and leaves at the top of the tag. Tuck in the die cut sentiment circle. Back the tag with the Lacy Diamond Die Cut.
Heartfelt Creations Wild Aster and Sunflowers Pocket Card: A Peek Inside
The interior of the card features a little waterfall feature made with the 6×6 card fronts and a cute gift pocket made with the Eyelet Rectangle & Basics Die. Back the pocket with Darice Thin Foam Strips on the sides and bottom so that you will have room to tuck in some lovely treats.
To make the flip folio feature, Score 3/8″ flaps on the left hand edge of each 6×6 panel. Adhere the first flap behind the base panel, then stack the flaps on top of one another to form a little book.
TIP: Hold the flip folio shut with a purple paper clip. Slip this over the edge of the folio and onto the front of the card. When you adhere the card front to the base, don’t place adhesive here. This way, the clip can easily be taken on and off.
Die cut frames and photo mounts for the flip folio using the Eyelet Rectangle & Basics Dies and cream cardstock. Card fronts from the paper pack make great journaling spots, or places to write your own greeting. For the base panel, I fussy cut/tore the words “Faith” and “to” from the 12×12 image. Then I adhered them over the original script on the page so that the message would make sense.
On With the Hop!
Visit each of the blogs in the list below. Be sure to leave a lovely comment, as one comment will be chosen from a mystery blog to win a $25 gift card to Heartfelt Creations!
The hop will close at 11:55PM EDT on Monday, October 28th. A winner will be chosen and announced at the top of this blog post on Tuesday, October 29th. Heartfelt Creations will also announce the winner on their blog and Facebook page on Wednesday, October 30th.
The winner has 72 hours to claim the prize by contacting email@example.com via email. Please write “Winner of the October Alumni Hop” in the subject line.
Here’s the link to all the alumni team blogs this month:
KATHY (you are here) ♥ Alissa ♥ Glenda ♥ Vicki ♥ Candy ♥ Sarah ♥ Emily ♥
Thanks so much for hopping with us!
- Heartfelt Creations
- Wild Aster
- Paper Collection
- Matching Dies
- Classic Sunflower
- Matching Dies
- Decorative Dies
- Tools, Inks, and Supplies
- Groove Golf Tool Set
- Espresso Yourself Prills
- Archival Ink: Saffron, Olive, Deep Purple, Pale Ochre
- Darice Thin Foam Strips
- Dries Clear Adhesive
- Sponge Daubers
- Stamp Mat
- Molding Mat
- Wild Aster
- Other Materials
- Whip Cream Cardstock
- Purple Nite Seam Binding
- Crosshatch on Delphinium Satin Ribbon
- Viva Decor 3-D Stamp Paint/Metallic Violet
Gorgeous! Love the sunflowers!
This card is stunning. The colors are perfect together and work great with the design. Thanks for sharing with us.
so pretty in blue and yellow.
Awesome Kathy, great hop my friend.
Beautiful card/folio Kathy, I love that you include honey, tea and a spoon, how creative is that!!!, I am a fan!!!, I have never received something so beutiful in the mail so whoever gets the card is going to enjoy a sweet cup of tea!!!, wonderful. Thanks for sharing!!!
As always your work is great, with great instructions
Love your cheery color combination. This is a card that has inspired me to try making a top fold folio card
Love your albums. Especially like the way you used the pockets and flips!!
Absolutely gorgeous absolutely love the colours
Loving the color combination that you used, it’s so vibrant and beautiful!
Gorgeous card and love the pocket! So clever!
These are beautiful flowers.
I love purple and think this is gorgeous. Thank you for the inspiration!!
Beautiful card and love the pocket idea.
Kathy, your color combination is gorgeous. Love the card.
Another fab HC creation, Kathy. Great color combo to this set. It works so well for combining asters and sunflowers. The “gift” tag tucked into the front cover is so creative. Having these dies etc, I know I’ll be imitating you — after all, “imitation is the highest form of flattery” I’ve been told! Thanks for sharing your creation and for this blog hop.
Love your color choices
Purple is my color
and this looks amazing!
Carla from Utah
What beautiful cards and ideas!!!
Beautiful card Kathy …inside and out! Luv the front corner flower pocket! Great design! And luv your beautiful sunflower too! Hugs, Suzy Q
Awesome idea love it.
What a nice gift that would make. I will keep it in mind for co-workers.
How beautiful! Your sunflowers are amazing!
Your beautiful gift album is so stunning! Love the stunning sunflower and aster tag as the centerpiece! Your details and flaps really showcase this wonderful Heartfelt Wild Aster collection!
This is so pretty.
Love your idea to use a removable tag as a main element on this card front…and tucking it into that lovely corner pocket is a terrific look. I like the intentional corner fussy cutting. Using the main floral cluster as the tag pull is a beautiful idea…I’ll definitely be giving this design element a try!
Beautiful Kathy! Sunflowers are still my favourite! <3
I love the pocket cards, a great way to give a gift card attached to the pocket!
Absolute gorgeous card – nothing left undone!!! I love the colors and the 2 different flowers combined are beautiful – well done, again Kathy!!!
This is gorgeous and you are making me want to order the new Aster stamps and dies and that pretty paper!
Beautiful! Love the colors, design – when this collection came out I purchased it and did a birthday card for my sister-in-law, using similar colors. I have been following your blog and you are such an inspiration.
I did have to catch up on some older blogs I missed and want to respond to a question you posted on a blog, Papercrafting 101: All About Adhesives. I am definitely interested to see more of these papercrafting 101 posts in future. I would be interested to have you discuss products/tools you use and find useful, organization supplies and tips, etc. I already use the tip on purchasing ribbon. Thanks Kathy for all the effort you put into providing us such inspiration and information!
The purple and yellow look amazing together. I love the color combo—-i have a lot of yellow and purple in my garden, as well as orange, and a little red. NICE
Such a beautiful card and a lovely surprise inside.
Stunning! Such vibrant colors and gorgeous flowers. I so enjoy looking over every inch to find all the little added touches.
This is a great card and gift for someone special and even my daughter who loves tea!
Kathy, this collection is just gorgeous. I really like blue and yellow color combinations. I love how you made the corner pocket from the paper. That is such a great idea and I am going to try that! And that ribbon with the sunflower in the middle is just perfect! The inside is so beautiful as well. The paper patterns remind me of Victorian wall paper. Thank you for sharing this beauty! Hugs!
Absolutely gorgeous as always!!