It’s All About the PIE!
Canvas Corp Brands Holiday Baking Tri-fold Thanksgiving Mini Album
I grew up in a family of amazing cooks. They may not have been gourmet cooks by today’s standards, but my mom, my grandmother, great-grandmother, and aunts knew their way around the kitchen! Thanksgiving was a huge celebration with all family members present and accounted for. Sometimes we had as many as 36 people crammed into my grandmother’s house. We lived in New England, so there was usually snow on the ground and the cold North Wind chilled you to the bone as you tramped from the car, across the porch and into the warmth of Grammy Ma’s kitchen where you were greeting with the tantalizing aroma of roasting turkey and savory dressing. Everyone brought food to this feast, but really….it was all about the PIE! Every kind of pie you can imagine: pumpkin (of course) along with mince, apple, blueberry. lemon meringue, cherry, coconut cream, banana cream and chocolate cream all arrayed in splendor on the side table. Thanksgiving is still my favorite holiday…and it’s all about the PIE, even to this day!
When Canvas Corp Brands released their gorgeous Holiday Baking collection, my mind began to race with memories of those happy Thanksgiving celebrations of my childhood. And naturally…pie! I could not believe my eyes when I saw this sentiment panel from the Holiday Baking Butcher Paper cardstock! I mean,…there was my childhood captured on paper! I gathered together some supplies and created this little tri-fold mini album in tribute to the fabulous cooks in my family. I’m sharing a full tutorial below the signature area, in case you want to make one yourself.
I stuffed this pocket full of little goodies, like a magnet, a vintage styled postcard and tag. It would be a great place to put family pics from the great feast, too. Imagine how fun it would be to pull this year’s photos out NEXT year, and see how much everyone has changed! This little album is so full of pie that I had to clip it closed with a Vintage Silver Clip!
For me, playing with paper is all about capturing memories, creating keepsakes and celebrating life. I think of it this way: I’m creating little hooks for us to hang our memories on so they don’t slip away. Even though I say it’s all about the pie, it’s really all about the love, the laughter and the time we share together. And of course, a slice of pie makes the memory all the sweeter.
If you’d like to purchase this Thanksgiving Mini Album, it’s available in my ETSY shop.
Thanks for stopping by!
It’s All About the Pie Thanksgiving Tri-Fold Mini Album Tutorial
- Holiday Baking Butcher Paper on Ivory
- Holiday Baking on Ivory
- Red and Ivory Ticking
- Beans and Bags Black and Ivory Teacups Reverse
- Red and Ivory Toile
- Kraft & White Lace Cardstock
- Farmhouse Kitchen Bake & Can Recipe Cards
- Farmhouse Kitchen Stripe
- Kitchen Charms
- Mini Cutlery Charms
- Round Mini Burlap Shapes
- Gypsy Moments Tags: Just Thankful
- Gypsy Moments Tag: Thank You
- Gypsy Moments Tags: To & From
- Gypsy frames Bi-Color
- Solid Black on Ivory Cardstock
- Gypsy Moments Tags: Recipe Cards
- Gypsy Moments Tags: Homemade
- Antique Silver Vintage Pin
- Red Ticking Fringe
- Burlap Sheet
- Vintage Clips
- Kraft Mini Bags
- High Impact white paint
- Jacobean Mini Clothespin
- 8.5″ x 11″ red cardstock
- magnetic sheet
- Red Glitter
- Novelty Buttons
- Paper flowers
- Black satin ribbon
- Metal Corners
- Spellbinder’s Diamond Essence Die
- Scoring tool, sewing machine, glue gun
- Black Soot Distress Ink and sponge applicator
Prepare the mini base:
- Cut two sheets of red cardstock to 7.25″ x 11″. Join on the short end to make one long strip measuring 7.25″ tall by approx. 15.75″ long. Score on the long side at 5.25″ and 10.25″. Crease to fold so that the right hand piece folds into the center, and the left hand piece folds onto the top.
- Cut FOUR 4.75″ x 6.75″ rectangles from Kraft & White Lace Cardstock. Sponge the edges with Black Soot Ink and mat with slightly larger black cardstock rectangles. Stitch around the edges with red thread, if desired. Glue into album base as shown.
- Cut ONE 4.75″ x 6.75″ rectangle from red and ivory toile paper. Ink and mat as above. Glue into the center panel inside the mini album.
Layering the cover:
- Cut a 2.5″ x 6.5″ rectangle from red ticking paper, with the stripe on the horizontal. Mat with black cardstock. Stitch edges if desired and glue down in the left hand corner of the card front, as shown.
- Ink the edges of the recipe tag and homemade tag. Glue down as seen in the photo.
- Cut “Gather Together and Eat Pie” from Holiday Baking Butcher Paper. Mat with red and black cardstock. Stitch together.
- Trim the word “Enjoy” from Gypsy Moments “To and From” tags. Ink the edges and glue to the back of the Gather Together panel.
- Cut a small burlap circle in half. Stitch the edges with red thread, if desired. Attach to the bottom of the Gather Together panel, as shown.
- Glue the Gather Together panel to the mini album front, as shown.
- Paint two metal corners with High Impact white paint. Glue into place.
- Cut a snippet of red canvas ticking and thread through the vintage pin, gluing together the reverse sides to create a banner. Add the cherry novelty button. Slip the pin through the Recipe Card, as shown.
- Tie a bow with black satin ribbon. top with red flowers. glue into place with hot glue gun.
Left Hand Page
- Create a slash pocket by cutting a rectangle of black cardstock to measure 5″ x 3.75″ Score 1/4″ on left and bottom. Cut on the diagonal from the 3″ mark on the top right to the bottom right corner. Crease along the score lines miter corners and glue into place.
- Cut a slightly smaller piece of red toile paper and trim the corner as you did for the pocket. Glue on top of the black pocket.
- Decorate with the other half of the small round burlap piece, a cut out image from Beans and Bags Teacups paper and a small novelty button.
- Fill the pocket with recipe cards that have been trimmed with Kitchen and Utensil charms.
- Computer journal the sentiment onto white cardstock
- Die cut with the largest Spellbinders Diamondessence circle die
- With Die in place, ink the inside edge with Vintage Photo Distress ink.
- Glue into place.
- Stitch the Happy Thanksgiving Sentiment onto natural burlap. Glue into place
Far Right Hand Page
- Create a pocket as you did on the first page, only cut the diagonal slash from the left hand side to the bottom left corner and then top with red toile as you did before. Glue into place.
- Cut a teacup from Beans and Bags and mat on red cardstock. Add a novelty button.
- Fussy cut elements from Holiday Baking on Ivory Sheet and glue onto the White Lace & Kraft background. Fill the pocket with tags that are tied together with burlap string (pull from the burlap panel) and the magnet.
To make the magnet:
- Find a vintage Thanksgiving image. Mine is from Crafty Secrets Seasonal Vintage Image and Journal Notes Booklet.
- Mat with black cardstock, gold paper, and red cardstock.
- Glue magnetic sheet onto the back.
- Add black cardstock to finish.
The apron page is the back side of the far right hand page. It will be the page on the right when the first fold of the album is opened.
- Cover a mini kraft bag with a piece of burlap. I stitched around the edges of my burlap with red thread first to make it stand out from the page.
- Ink the edges of the Just thankful card and tuck into the pocket. Glue into place. Top with a mini clothespin if desired.
- Cut a teacup from Beans and Bags. Mat on red cardstock. Glue on top of burlap as shown.
- Thread a button with red thread and tie a bow. Hot glue onto kraft pocket, as shown.
- Cut a 4.2″ x 2″ strip of red ticking fringe. Fringe the edges. Stitch a zig zag along the bottom. Glue into place, as shown.
- Fussy cut the apron from the Holiday Baking paper. Ink the edges with Black Soot and use foam tape to layer onto the page, as shown.
- Die cut a flower from red toile paper using the flower die of your choice. Add to the page.
- Cut the small coffee circle from Beans and bags. Add to page as shown.