Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness: Celebrating the 4th of July with Authentique Paper
Hello, Friends! Let’s celebrate the 4th of July with a card salute to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness! All this week the Authentique design team is sharing inspirational Independence Day and Summer themed projects over on the Authentique Paper Blog. I’m getting the party started with a festive Liberty Pop-Up Shaker Card.
Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue
- First, create a 5″ x 7″ top fold card base from red cardstock.
- Next, cut a background from a 4 7/8″ x 6 7/8″ panel of blue designer paper.
- Then cut a 4 7/8″ x 2 1/2″ belly band from the stars/text panel.
- Now stitch around the perimeter of these panels if desired.
- Cut (2) 2″ x 6″ fishtail banners from complementary patterns and adhere to the left hand side of the background panel.
- Now fussy cut around the edge of the 3×4 flag image and mat on red cardstock. Adhere in the center of the card.
Star Spangled Shaker Element
Now create the star shaker element.
- Use a nested star die to cut 2 (3 3/4″) stars from patterned paper. Set one star aside to form the back of the shaker element.
- Place a smaller nested die in the center of the other star and die cut to create a frame.
- Now cut the large star a third time using clear cardstock.
- Adhere the clear cardstock to the back of the star frame.
- Then add 3 layers of 1/8″ foam strips to the back side of the frame.
- Next fill the frame with your shaker elements. Adhere the die cut star to foam tape and press in place to seal.
- Die cut several more small stars from red and blue metallic paper. Use these to embellish the card.
- Finally add flowers, ribbon, buttons and letter tiles.
Stand and Salute the Flag
Create a fun pop-up scene inside the card. You can find a tutorial for making this style of pop up card HERE.
Decorate with more die cut stars, fussy cut elements and stickers from the paper collection. There’s even a fun little flip down sentiment panel located at the bottom of the card.
Land of the Free Because of the Brave
My Daddy raised me to love this wonderful country and to respect its flag. I can still see him standing with his hand over his heart any time the flag passed by. He and my uncles served during WWII and my grandfathers and great uncles served during WWI. Two of my brothers served in the military; one in the demilitarized zone in South Korea and the other did two tours of duty in Vietnam. My niece served in the National Guard and supported the troops in Afghanistan.
Independence Day reminds me to be grateful for all the sacrifices that have been made so that I can enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Our history is not perfect. No nation’s is. But America keeps moving toward the lofty goals set forth by our Founding Fathers…and that is something to celebrate!
I wish you all a blessed, safe and Happy 4th of July!
Thanks for stopping by!
- Authentique Liberty Collection Kit (retired, but you can substitute THIS collection.)
- Spellbinders Nested Star Dies
- Lilac Lane Picnic Shaker Mix
- Clear Acetate Sheets
- 1/8 Foam Strips
- Bon Voyage Blue Roses
- Sangria Roses
- Flag Grosgrain Ribbon
- Scrabble Tiles, HOME ephemera and paper clip from my stash