Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness: Celebrating the 4th of July with Authentique Paper
Hello, Friends! Let’s celebrate the 4th of July with a card salute to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness! All this week the Authentique design team is sharing inspirational Independence Day and Summer themed projects over on the Authentique Paper Blog. I’m getting the party started with a festive Liberty Pop-Up Shaker Card.
Three Cheers for the Red, White and Blue
- First, create a 5″ x 7″ top fold card base from red cardstock.
- Next, cut a background from a 4 7/8″ x 6 7/8″ panel of blue designer paper.
- Then cut a 4 7/8″ x 2 1/2″ belly band from the stars/text panel.
- Now stitch around the perimeter of these panels if desired.
- Cut (2) 2″ x 6″ fishtail banners from complementary patterns and adhere to the left hand side of the background panel.
- Now fussy cut around the edge of the 3×4 flag image and mat on red cardstock. Adhere in the center of the card.
Star Spangled Shaker Element
Now create the star shaker element.
- Use a nested star die to cut 2 (3 3/4″) stars from patterned paper. Set one star aside to form the back of the shaker element.
- Place a smaller nested die in the center of the other star and die cut to create a frame.
- Now cut the large star a third time using clear cardstock.
- Adhere the clear cardstock to the back of the star frame.
- Then add 3 layers of 1/8″ foam strips to the back side of the frame.
- Next fill the frame with your shaker elements. Adhere the die cut star to foam tape and press in place to seal.
- Die cut several more small stars from red and blue metallic paper. Use these to embellish the card.
- Finally add flowers, ribbon, buttons and letter tiles.
Stand and Salute the Flag
Create a fun pop-up scene inside the card. You can find a tutorial for making this style of pop up card HERE.
Decorate with more die cut stars, fussy cut elements and stickers from the paper collection. There’s even a fun little flip down sentiment panel located at the bottom of the card.
Land of the Free Because of the Brave
My Daddy raised me to love this wonderful country and to respect its flag. I can still see him standing with his hand over his heart any time the flag passed by. He and my uncles served during WWII and my grandfathers and great uncles served during WWI. Two of my brothers served in the military; one in the demilitarized zone in South Korea and the other did two tours of duty in Vietnam. My niece served in the National Guard and supported the troops in Afghanistan.
Independence Day reminds me to be grateful for all the sacrifices that have been made so that I can enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Our history is not perfect. No nation’s is. But America keeps moving toward the lofty goals set forth by our Founding Fathers…and that is something to celebrate!
I wish you all a blessed, safe and Happy 4th of July!
Thanks for stopping by!
- Authentique Liberty Collection Kit (retired, but you can substitute THIS collection.)
- Spellbinders Nested Star Dies
- Lilac Lane Picnic Shaker Mix
- Clear Acetate Sheets
- 1/8 Foam Strips
- Bon Voyage Blue Roses
- Sangria Roses
- Flag Grosgrain Ribbon
- Scrabble Tiles, HOME ephemera and paper clip from my stash
I missed this cute patriotic card! It’s Soooo Patriotic!!! And a shaker too! Luv the special pop ups on the inside as much as the beautiful outside! I’d leave this beauty out all year long! Yes …why didn’t I think of that. Must put one of these on my to do list! Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Suzy Q
Oh, my sweet Kathy, what a beautiful card!!! I am so grateful for your family and all of the men and women that have served so that we can live better. God bless you, my friend!!!
Fun and festive pop up card. I like the star shaker.
Happy Independence Day to ALL! And thank you Kathy for your marvelous creation which should put us in the mood to celebrate our country and the sacrifices many have made so we can enjoy our country and freedom we are so lucky to have. Your card is a wonderful celebration of of this holiday!
What a great card to celebrate the 4th, Kathy. The pop ups inside and shaker element on the front add to the celebration. For those of us who have ancestors and relatives who have served in the military, there is a special reason to celebrate not only out country but those who have helped us continue to live in the land of the free…for them it’s truly the home of the brave. You’ve reminded me to let my living relatives know how much they are appreciated. tfs-stay well. Hugs and Happy 4th to you.
This is a great card, with all the things going on, we all need a little happiness don’t we? I can’t imagine what the pandemic is going to end up doing to the world but we have to stick together and we will get through.
Stay calm, stay kind and stay safe everyone.
Love this patriotic card with the star shaker on front!!! My father and uncles also served in the Army during WWII – and YES, I stand with heart crossed for the FLAG and Anthem. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful card!!
Such a beautiful card Kathy. My only wish is that “our country” was a much safer place to be. But, we are blessed to be a part of it no matter what. Be safe & TYFS
Love the shaker and the pop up stars. God Bless your family for all their service to keep us safe..I love your stories..but you already know that. 🙂
Gorgeous, just gorgeous! Not so sure about our country but this is gorgeous!
Kathy, this is absolutely stunning! As you know I LOVE your patriotic cards. You have created a masterpiece with this one. I especially like the star shaker elements and the beautiful images. Authentique really hit the ball out of the park with this collection. I have great pride in my country and our flag. Many of my relatives have served in the military as well. i love what you said about our country and those that have fought to defend it. Wishing you a very happy Independence Day! Hugs!