Little Birdie Crafts Magical Unicorn Birthday Card
Hello, Friends! Today I have a Little Birdie Crafts Magical Unicorn Birthday Card to share with you. This is the card I made for our granddaughter’s birthday party last month. Julia loves saturated colors, sparkly things and unicorns. I used the Boho Creams paper collection to make this Magical Unicorn Shaker/Easel card and she loved it!
Magical Unicorn Birthday Card: Creating the Card Base
Easel cards are probably my favorite style of fancy fold. They are quick and easy to make, but really have that “WOW” factor we all want in our creations. When you add a shaker element to an easel card, as I did here, you really have something special. Here are the simple steps for putting this card base together.
- First, score a 6″ x 12″ panel of white cardstock in half on the long side. Fold and burnish to make a 6″ x 6″ top fold card base.
- Next, score a horizontal line on the card front at 3 inches. Make a mountain fold. This is the easel element on the card.
- Now, line the card interior with a 6″ x 6″ panel of Boho Dreams paper. It’s all beautiful, so you can’t go wrong here!
- Next, cut (4) 6″ x 2 7/8″ panels of designer paper to line the (4) 3″ x 6″ rectangles on the card front and interior. Be careful not to glue over the folds or your easel mechanism will not function.
- When it is time to add the main image to the card front, you will only place adhesive on the bottom half of the fold. Then the card will stand upright for display.
Magical Unicorn Birthday Card: Making the Stopper for the Easel Card
Every easel card needs a brake, or a stopper to make the card stand up for display. The stopper is actually built on the bottom half card interior. Here’s how to add that element to your card.
- Punch out the eyelash unicorn doily from the 12×12 paper pad.
- Fussy cut the eyelashes and unicorn horn from the fussy cut page of the paper collection. Place dimensionals on the back and adhere over the doily.
- Next, fussy cut some flowers and feathers. Pop these up on dimensionals and cluster around the image as seen in the photo.
- Now select 3 Boho Dreams Micro Roses and adhere around the unicorn horn.
- Cut a little fishtail banner from a scrap of your designer paper and adhere on the right hand side.
- Then fussy cut the banner and adhere from the top left to the bottom right.
- Now back the doily with dimensionals and adhere to the card base.
- Decorate the stopper with Boho Dreams Flowers. Tuck a bow under one of the large flowers. Because this card was for my granddaughter, I added lots of pretty rhinestones, too.
Magical Unicorn Birthday Card: Making the Shaker Element
Here’s how to make the shaker element.
- First, cut a 3″ x 4″ journal card from the paper collection.
- Next, add Gold Metallic Wax to a Little Birdie Rectangular Chipboard Frame.
- Cut a piece of clear cardstock (acetate sheet) to fit the back of the frame and adhere in place with strong tape liner or Dries Clear Adhesive. Use a damp paper towel to clean up any little smudges of adhesive.
- Now back the frame with 1/8″ foam tape. I used 3 layers.
- Next, place the frame face down and fill with sequins. Then carefully line the journal card up over the foam tape and press to seal. Be sure there are no gaps around the edges. If needed, you can add another layer of paper.
- Now you can adhere the frame to the card base. Decorate with fussy cuts and flowers.
Magical Unicorn Birthday Card: The Bookmark
I also made a little bookmark to go with the card. These are quick and easy gifts to create.
- Cut a 3 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ panel of designer paper.
- Place adhesive along the top of a journal card and adhere. If you leave the bottom open, the book page can slip between the image and the base.
- Punch a hole in the center of the bookmark and thread with ribbon. Tie a bow with metallic string.
- Adhere a fussy cut unicorn and add micro roses.
I hope I’ve shared some tips, tricks and inspiration that you can use in your next crafty adventure. If so I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below. You’ll find a linked supply list below this post.
Thanks for stopping by!
- Little Birdie Crafts
- Other Products
Kathy, what a darling, magical card! Just look at that riot of color! And oh that ribbon matches so perfectly. It is beautiful. What a perfect card for a little girl that loves sparkles and unicorns. I’ll bet your granddaughter was thrilled. How lucky your grand girls are to have a Grandma with such talent and love to give! Thank you for sharing! Hugs!
This card is full of sunshine with its more saturated color and I love the flowers!
Wow!!! Why would this remind me of cotton candy??? lol Beautiful card Kathy, just gorgeous.
So pretty. My granddaughter would love these.
This card didn’t “grab” me until it opened…surprise! LOVE the card in the easel position!! I like the look of ribbons hanging from a bookmark…makes me want to get back to reading, and that’s a good thing. Lucky granddaughter to receive this card! Thanks for this ray of bright sunshine to start the week…much appreciated.
A magical card for any little girl to love and cherish!! TYFS
Kathy, what little girl wouldn’t love to receive this card! Everything about it is delightful — the colors, images, sparkle, shaker element bookmark and easel design. Your card puts all these together so well. I can see why your granddaughter loved it. It’s a treasure to keep. tfs – stay safe and healthy.
How sweet! This card is so bright and cheerful!!! And I can see why your granddaughter luved it! It’s adorable! You have got me so hooked on these easel cards! They are addictive! Lol! Haven’t got the hang of making those shakers yet …but great idea with an easel! Take care and be safe. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Suzy Q