Little Birdie Crafts True Love Desk Folio Tutorial: February Guest Designer Spot
Hello, Friends! Today I have a romantic, feminine Little Birdie Crafts True Love Desk Folio Tutorial to share with you. This is the feminine version of the Classic Gentleman Gift Folio I shared with you in January. I thought it would be fun to show you the softer side of this practical little desk companion.
Ooh la la! Paris, anyone? Pink roses, too? Sign me up!
Desk Folio 2.0
The best thing about this little folio is how quickly it comes together. Since there is always room for improvement, I did tweak the basic design for this folio just a bit. For one thing, it’s taller. I find the Junior Legal Pad fit better when papers are cut to 8 1/2″ tall instead of the original 8″. And, I added a ribbon closure to add even more girly-girl charm to the design.
Here are the basic measurements for the folio base and pockets.
- First score a 12″ x 8 1/2″ panel of designer paper at 5 1/2″ and 6 1/2″ to form the cover.
- Next, score a 6 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ panel at 1/2″ and 1″ to form the right hand flap page.
- Now cut liner papers for the 3 inside panels to measure just under 5 1/2″ wide x 8 1/2″ tall. The width of the liner paper has to clear the scored spine so that the folio will close neatly.
- Then score a 6 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ panel of designer paper so that you have (2) 1/2″ flaps on each side and on the bottom. Follow the video tutorial to see how to turn this into a box pocket.
- Now score a 6 1/2″ x 5″ panel of designer paper with 1/2″ flaps on the sides and bottom. Then follow the video tutorial to see how to make this into a slash pocket.
- The spines measure 7/8″ x 8 1/2″ for the larger spine and 3/8″ x 8 1/2″ for the thinner spine.
- If desired, wrap the center of the folio with ribbon. Leave the ends long enough to tie a bow.
Dress it Up!
Now comes the fun part: dressing up the cover!
- Mat a 5″ x 8″ panel of the pink heart paper on medium weight chipboard. Brush the edges with ivory chalk paint. Then adhere to the cover.
- Next, cut a 3 1/2″ x 6″ panel of the Eiffel Tower design paper. Brush the edges with chalk paint and adhere as seen in the photo.
- Then adhere the Little Birdie Chipboard on the left hand side of the folio cover.
- Now cut a 2″ x 1 1/4″ scrap of the pink text paper and adhere above the chipboard. Top with black buttons.
- Arrange Pearl Pink Rosalind Roses and foliage on the cover of the folio.
- Fussy cut some elements to tuck in with the floral arrangement.
A Peek Inside
I don’t know about you, but I hate it when a paper pad gets rolled up corners and wrinkled edges. The flap page on the right helps to protect the pad beneath.
Here’s the folio fully opened. You can see the box pocket on the left and the slash pocket on the right.
Create a cover for a 3″ x 5″ sticky note pad and tuck it in the box pocket along with a pen. The slash pocket is a great spot to stash receipts. But I filled it with a tea bag, chocolate treat and a honey stick for the gift presentation.
Little Birdie Crafts True Love Desk Folio Tutorial on YouTube
Are you ready to make this little desk folio? Then click play and follow along with this YouTube tutorial.
If you missed the Classic Gentleman Gift Folio, you can find that video HERE.
You’ll find a linked supply list below this post.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
- Little Birdie Crafts
- Charms and Buttons from my stash