Measure Twice Cut Once Masculine Shaker Card
Hello, Friends! Did you grow up hearing the phrase, Measure Twice, Cut Once? I did! And now that our eldest son has taken up woodcrafting (you can check out his ETSY shop HERE) it’s a phrase I’m hearing quite often! So imagine my delight when I found this saying in PhotoPlay’s
“This Guy” collection. I just had to use it on his birthday card!
Measure Twice Cut Once Masculine Shaker Card: Keeping it Simple
Here’s how this card came together:
- First, create a 5″ x 7″ top fold card base
- Next, dry emboss a panel of dark brown patterned paper from the collection with a 3-D Embossing Folder. (Product links can be found at the bottom of this post)
TIP: Create even more depth and dimension in your 3-D Embossing Folder by applying Black Soot Distress Ink on the flat side of the folder. Then spritz the paper lightly with water and run through your die cutting machine. You’ll be pleasantly amazed at how realistic the wood grain look!
- Now, back the paper frame with clear acrylic cardstock, then add a triple layer of waste chipboard around the edges to create the shaker box.
- Fill the shaker box with gold sequins, yellow buttons and miniature tools. I actually wish I had added 4 layers of chipboard to allow more freedom of movement in the shaker box.
- Mat the sentiment panel on kraft cardstock and back with dimensionals. Adhere to the card base.
- Then adhere a Tim Holtz metal ruler and a Paper Doll as a finishing touch.
- Top the shaker box with a vintage bulldog clip and a little twine bow.
Measure Twice Cut Once Masculine Shaker Card: A Peek Inside
I kept the inside simple, with a little sentiment card panel and a cluster of ephemera on the top.
Our son loved the card, and I loved making it. That’s what I call a win/win!
I hope I’ve shared some tips, tricks and techniques that you can use in your own crafty adventures. If so, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Thanks for stopping by!
Measure Twice Cut Once Masculine Shaker Card Supply List
NOTE: Some supplies have been in my stash a long time and are no longer available for purchase online. Others were gifted to me, so I’m not sure where to find them online. I link to supplies whenever possible…but sometimes, it just isn’t possible! Thanks for understanding!
- PhotoPlay This Guy Paper Collection (retired…but you can substitute another collection from your stash)
- Kraft Cardstock
- Clear Cardstock
- Burlap String
- Tim Holtz Paper Dolls
- Novelty Buttons
- Metal Tool Charms
- Bulldog Clip
Oh yes!!! This definitely is a win-win card! Luv the shaker idea too!!! And yes …I so remember the saying ‘Measure Twice …Cut Once’ …I made a LOT of my clothes…when I learned to sew in 7th grade Home Ec!!! Those teachers really instilled a luv of sewing! My grandmother sewed, but she lived 5 hrs away. Mother didn’t take up sewing til after I married …then she made the most beautiful cloth dolls you ever saw! And eventually opened her own little doll shop! Mine are treasures! See we are never too old to start new things! I’ve been needing an idea for a masculine card …thanks for sharing! Hugs, Suzy Q
Happy Birthday to you son and congratulations on his new shop. I love how you created a perfectly masculine shaker card. Win/win.
Kathy, this is a great masculine card. Love the sentiments…and will be on the lookout for any possible paper sets still floating around. The masculine elements for your shaker card are delightful. These can be changed to suit the men in our lives! tfs Hugs!
A wonderful masculine card, with a sentiment I say over and over again! I love that you’ve made this into a shaker card! How unexpected! Your son’s Etsy shop is filled with delightful goodies! Wishing him tons of success with it and a very Happy Birthday! Hugs!
I love the card and the sentiment. It is perfect for my brother’s birthday card. You always come up with the greatest ideas.
Enjoy the day!
Kathy, what a fantastic, thoughtful card to give to your son! I know he loved it! My hubby is somewhat of a craftsman and he is always saying “measure twice, cut once”. It’s like a mantra! LOL I love the sentiment….how true it is. And your shaker elements are so perfectly masculine. How clever they are! Thank you for sharing such a “handsome” card. Hugs!