Sinister Secrets Master Detective Shaker Card Tutorial with Really Reasonable Ribbon
Hello, Ribbon Lovers! Get out your magnifying glass, your houndstooth coat, your deer stalker hat and pipe. The game is afoot! Join me as I share this Sherlock Holmes inspired Sinister Secrets Master Detective Shaker Card Tutorial.
I’ve always loved Sherlock Holmes. Whether reading the original books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or watching Basil Rathbone, Jonny Lee Miller or Benedict Cumberbatch portray him on screen, you know you are in for a rollicking good time when Sherlock Holmes is on the case!
This tall and skinny 4.25″ x 8.5″ side fold card is all dressed up with Graphic 45’s Master Detective papers. And what, pray tell, is the perfect ribbon choice for a Sherlock Holmes Sinister Secrets Master Detective Shaker Card? It’s Elementary, my dear reader: Black and White Houndstooth Ribbon, of course!
Tips and Tricks
- First, cut 4 1/8″ x 8 1/4″ panel of green plaid paper to cover your 4.25″ x 8.5″ kraft card base.
- Next, cut 2 pieces of 1.5″ x 3.75″ black text paper from the 12×12 Patterns and Solids Pad. Mat on slightly larger black cardstock and glue in opposite corners.
- Now, trim a chipboard filmstrip frame to fit the card. Paint with brown paint. Let it dry.
- Then, swipe Jet Black Distress Oxide Ink on a craft mat. Spritz with water until beadlets form. Tap the film strip frame into the inky puddles to create a sort of corroded look.
- Now, line the back side of the frame with 1/4″ Scor-tape.
- Cut a piece of clear acetate to fit the back side of the film strip.
- Then remove the liner on the Scor-Tape and press the acetate down.
- Add Kool-Tak Clear Foam Tape over the acetate. Leave the top liner in place until later.
- Fill the cavities with sequins and beads.
- Now, cut a strip of black cardstock the same size as the film strip.
- Then add images to the black paper, lining them up with the openings on the film strip.
- Remove the liner tape and press the cardstock in place.
Sinister Secrets Master Detective Shaker Card Tutorial : Finishing Touches
- First, fussy cut the image from the 8×8 paper pad signature page. Ink the edges.
- Now, add small foam dots to the back side, cutting them to fit where necessary.
- Press in place as seen in the photo.
- Glue down the chipboard tag.
- Then create the bow cluster with houndstooth ribbon, black burlap string and a black button.
- Glue a brass monocle (I had this in my stash….go figure!) over the top filmstrip opening. Add ribbon/burlap string to finish.
- Glue 3 tiny jet buttons along the side.
- Finally, mat the sentiment sticker to black cardstock. Trim and glue in place.
It’s suitably sinister, isn’t it?
Sinister Secrets Master Detective Shaker Card Tutorial: A Peek Inside
- Line the card interior with paper.
- Then, score a 4″ x 6″ image from the cut apart page to fit the left hand side.
- Now, mat a sticker and small border piece on primitive white cardstock.
Well, hello there!
Sinister Secrets Master Detective Shaker Card Tutorial: The Gift Card/Treat Wallet
Create a gift card/treat wallet with black cardstock and a small ephemera card from the collection.
- First, cut a 4 1/8″ x 8″ strip of black cardstock.
- Then Score at 3 1/8″ and again at 6 1/4″. Burnish and fold to create a sort of wallet.
- Now, mat the small ephemera card on the wallet front.
- Next, line the interior of the wallet with designer papers.
- Then use a circle punch to create a thumb hole.
- Add a small strip of green plaid paper to the pocket front and glue shut.
Trim another ephemera card to fit inside the pocket. And throw in some dark chocolate for good measure! No sinister secrets here….just good fun and sweet treats!
I hope I’ve shared some tips and tricks that you can use in your own crafty adventures! If so, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Thanks for stopping by!