Classic Gentleman Valentine Notebook for Little Birdie Crafts
Hello, Friends! How about we make a Classic Gentleman Valentine Notebook with some of my new Little Birdie Crafts goodies today? It’s a little bit vintage, a little bit steampunk, and a quick and easy project for your favorite fella. I’m thrilled to be a Little Birdie Crafts Guest Designer again this term. This is my first project, and I hope you will have fun making it, too!
I don’t want to rush the season, but we will blink twice and Valentine’s Day will be upon us. We all love frilly, frou-frou, pink Valentines. But most guys don’t! So this is the design I came up with for my sweet husband. (Did you know he composes, arranges and performs all the music on my YouTube channel?) He’s such a great guy, and I just really wanted to bless him with something special on Valentine’s Day. Dale loves to write things down in notebooks, so I designed this 5 1/2″ x 8″ folio especially for him. Since he’s a generous soul, I don’t think he will mind if I share it here with you.
- Begin by cutting 4 sheets of 12×12 Classic Gentleman papers to measure 12″ x 8″.
- Score the text collage sheet at 5 1/2″ and 6 1/2″. Then fold along the scored lines to form a 5 1/2″ x 8″ notebook or folio.
- Next, cut the dapper gents patterned paper to 5 1/2″ x 8″ Ink all the edges with Ground Espresso Distress Ink.
- Now use the Little Birdie Filmstrip Die to cut a frame from your scraps. Adhere as seen in the photo.
- Then, fussy cut the walking stick silhouette man, top hat, and playing cards from the cut apart page of the paper collection. Then use the Cogs and Wheels die to cut a bunch of gears from your scraps.
- Next, trim the 4″ x 6″ Clock and Gears Journal Card to measure 4″ square. TIP: if you just cut the bottom off the card, then glue the 4″ x 2″ scrap back behind the 4″ square, you can keep the framed edge all the way around the card.
- Then trim the clocks from the second 4″ x 6″ card. Place foam adhesive or other dimensionals on the back and adhere over the clocks on the 4×4 card.
- Cut the Primed Chipboard Vintage Keys apart and ink them with Ground Espresso. Then apply Little Birdie Metallic Wax in Gold, Silver and Green to create a worn, vintage finish.
- Adhere the 4″ x 4″ clock panel to the notebook base. Then embellish with the keys, fussy cuts and die cut pieces using the photos as a guide.
Since most men are not crazy about ribbons and bows, you need to find a good alternative for adding texture. Little Birdie Flat Braided Twine looks (to me) like a watch fob, which makes it perfect for this project! Simply punch holes at the top and bottom of the spine, then run the braided twine through and tie in a knot or shoestring bow.
A Peek Inside
Create a box pocket on the left hand side of the notebook. I tucked in one of my hubby’s favorite chocolate bars and a nice gel pen. The inside panel is lined with a 5 3/8″ x 8″ panel of the designer paper.
On the right, I decided to make a flip page. Here’s how to do that:
- First, cut an 11 1/2″ x 8″ panel from a 12×12 sheet of Classic Gentleman.
- Now score it at 5 1/2″ and 6″. Fold along the scored lines so that the patterned paper is on the inside and the blank white side is on top. You will have a 1/2″ spine on the right of this flap.
- Cover the blank flap page with a 5 3/8″ x 8″ panel of designer paper. Decorate with a 4×6 journal card and the Die Cut Time Pieces.
Now you have the perfect spot to adhere a junior legal pad in the center of the notebook. The flap cover will protect the pages from getting all wrinkled. It also provides a great spot for a slash pocket to hold receipts and other “stuff.”
Classic Gentleman Valentine Notebook Tour on YouTube
To help you get a feel for the function and flow of this little project, I’ve prepared a short video walk through with tips and tricks.
You’ll find a linked supply list below this post.
Also, I have a little unboxing video and giveaway of the Little Birdie Dies used in this project HERE.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
- Little Birdie Crafts Classic Gentleman 12×12 paper pad
- 4×6 Classic Gentleman Journal Cards
- Flim Strip Thin Die
- Cogs and Wheels Thin Dies
- Timekeeper Thin Dies
- Dream Cut Die Cutting Machine
- Flat Braided Trim
- Primed Chipboard Keys
- Metallic Wax