July Gnome of the Month Folio Tutorial with Photoplay Year with My Gnomies Collection
Hello, Friends! Wowsers…it’s already time to share our July Gnome of the Month Folio Tutorial! How can we be half way through 2022? This month’s folio is all about the red, white and blue. We’ve got cook out gnomes, stars, stripes, rosettes and all the festive elements that go along with Independence Day celebrations. If you’re new to this monthly series on the blog, you can get caught up on the previous 6 months HERE.
July Gnome of the Month: How to Make a Star Shaker Embellishment
What could be more perfect than a star shaped shaker element on a 4th of July folio? If you have a basic set of nested star dies, you can make your own by following these simple steps.
- First, die cut the largest star from a piece of heavy weight cardstock. (I used Navy to go with the color palette of my project.)
- Next, select the patterned paper you wish to use as the frame of your star.
- Now place a small piece of easy release tape (like painter’s tape) on the edge of the largest star die to secure it in place on the patterned paper.
- Then center the next smallest star die inside the large one and secure with tape.
- Run the die through your die cutting machine using the sandwich that your machine recommends.
- Now you will have a large frame and a smaller star. Adhere the small star in the center of the Navy cardstock star. This is the backer for your shaker element.
- Next, die cut clear cardstock (acetate) with the largest star die and adhere to the back of the frame. This is the frame or the front of your shaker element.
- Then place 3 rows of 1/8″ foam strips on the back of the star frame.
- Now fill the center of the shaker back with your shaker elements.
- Finally, press the frame over the shaker back.
Here is a side view of the shaker frame. I colored the sides of my foam tape with a red sharpie pen so that it would blend in better.
A Peek Inside
The inside of this adorable folio follows the same simple layout as the preceding months. Keeping the design the same each month saves time, which is always a good thing!
A cute tag pocket is hidden behind the front flap. The large center pocket gives you plenty of room to add journaling cards, tags and photos.
I really like the images this month…especially the watermelon and ice cream treats! That’s a a great way to cool off during the summer heat wave so many of us are experiencing.
July Gnome of the Month Folio Tutorial on YouTube
If you’d like to learn how to create this July Gnome of the Month Folio, I hope you’ll enjoy this YouTube tutorial.
I hope you have as much fun making this cute folio as I did! You’ll find a linked supply list below this post.
Thanks for stopping by!
- Photoplay Year with My Gnomies Calendar Collection
- Nested Star Dies
- Clear Cardstock (acetate sheets)
- 1/8″ foam tape
- Buttons Galore Patriotic Shaker Mixes
- Electric Blue Satin with Silver Edge Ribbon
- Mixed Blue Cottage Roses
- Celestina Love and Roses Flowers (out of stock)
- Sizzix Thinlets Rosette Die (discontinued)
- 7 Gypsies Vintage Clip (discontinued)
- Buttons and Charms from my stash