This hop is now closed. The winning comment was from Bonita on Amarilys Doria’s Blog. Thanks for hopping!
Butterfly Medley Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Heartfelt Creations Alumni Hop
Hello, Friends! Welcome to the Heartfelt Creations February Alumni Hop! I’m here to share a Butterfly Medley Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial with you. We have a lot of ground to cover, so grab a snack and a cuppa and let’s get started!
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: First Look
Ultra Violet is Pantone’s 2018 Color of the Year, so I thought I’d celebrate that with this rich purple folio. I pulled papers from the beautiful Butterfly Medley Paper Collection and added a whole host of dies to create this 5″ x 7″ trifold folio. You’ll find a complete supply list at the end of this post.
You Tube Video Tour of the Album
I think it’s easier to understand how this folio comes together if you can see all the various mechanisms at work. So I’ve made a short YouTube Video Tour of the album for you to watch before we get started. I hope you enjoy!
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Building the Base
Here’s how to build this trifold folio base:
- First, cut 2 sheets of textured lavender cardstock to measure 11″ x 7″ high.
- Then, join the two strips of cardstock together on the 7″ edge using 1/2″ Scor-Tape.
- Now place the long side of this strip on your scoring tool. Score at 5″ and again at 5.5″.
- Next, repeat this process all the way down the length of your paper, folding to fit your scoring platform as you go. You should end up with THREE 5″ x 7″ sections with 1/2″ spines between.
- Now, on the far right hand panel, score an additional line 1.5″ from the edge. This will form the flap and pocket.
- Finally, crease all scored lines with a bone folder.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Decorating the base pages
We will line and design the interior of the folio before we create the cover. This way, the cover will stay clean and fresh. Dimensional elements will not get crushed during the creative process.
- First, cut 3/8″ strips of patterned paper to line all the spine sections, inside and out. I used border strips for this purpose.
- Next, cut panel of slightly darker lavender cardstock. Cut each panel to measure 4 7/8″ x 6 7/8″.
- For the next steps, DO NOT GLUE the papers until instructed to do so, or you will not be able to add the flip and flap elements.
- Now, cut two panels of Butterfly Medley paper to measure 4.75″ x 6.75″. These will line the left and center folio panels.
- Then cut a 2.75″ x 6.75″ panel for the flap. You may glue this in place now.
- Next cut a 2″ x 6.75″ panel to line the pocket and a 1 3/8″ panel to line the pocket flap. You may glue this in place now.
- To seal the pocket, add glue to the top and bottom edge only.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Creating the Flap Elements
Now we will work on creating the flap element on the right hand side of the album.
- First trim two card front images. The one on the top measures 4.25″ x 3″. Mat this on a piece of 4.75″ x 3.25″ lavender cardstock. Glue the image to the mat, leaving a wide margin on the right hand side. Place this on your scoring tool, and score a line just to the right of the image. Fold to form a hinge. Glue the hinge to to top of the flap.
- Then repeat this process with the next image. This time trim the image to measure 4.75″ x 3.5″. Mat on a larger piece of lavender cardstock as before. Score a hinge and glue to the flap.
This is what the flap page will look like. I lined the back side of my flaps with patterned paper from the Butterfly Medley Collection. Trim out the word “Bloom” from the paper collection, mat on cardstock and glue just the left hand edge in place to create a tuck spot.
Here’s the pocket on the back side of the flap.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Creating the Center Panel
Now we will work on the flip and pocket element in the center panel of the folio.
- First, trim the card front to measure 4.75″ wide x 5.25″ tall. Round the corners, if desired.
- Then score a 1/2″ hinge along the top edge of the image. Crease this and glue it to the center of the panel.
- Now glue the Butterfly Medley panel you cut earlier in place so that it covers the hinge as seen in this photo.
- Next, create a pocket by scoring 1/2″ margins on bottom, right and left hand sides of a 5 7/8″ x 2.5″ panel of paper. Fold the flaps to form a pocket. Use a circle punch to create a thumb hole. Glue in place.
- Finally, fill the pocket with tags as seen here. Die cut the ticket and glue in place.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: The Waterfall Folio
Now we will create the waterfall folio on the left hand side.
- Begin by gluing your pre-cut panel of Butterfly Medley paper in place.
- Now, cut 5 panels of 4″ x 5.5″ cardstock in alternating colors of light and dark lavender.
- Next, round the corners. Score a 1/2″ hinge on the top of each panel.
- Then, cut 5 card fronts to fit each cardstock panel. These should measure 3.75″ x approx. 5″ . If they are a little shorter, it really doesn’t matter.
- Now, for the top panel only: add a magnet toward the bottom edge of the cardstock panel.
- Next, glue the card fronts to the cardstock panels, being sure to glue below the fold.
- Now you will line the folded edge of the first panel up with the top edge of your Butterfly Medley paper, being sure to center it on both the right and left hand sides.
- Next, glue the next folded edge so that it butts up against the previous one. You can see from this photo what that should look like.
- Then continue adding panels until they are all in place.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Creating the Magnetic Flap
Next, create the magnetic flap closure.
- First, cut a 2″ x 5″ strip of lavender cardstock.
- Then, score at 3″ and again at 3 1/8″. Crease the score lines.
- Place this strip on the folio base as seen here. Place a magnet on the TOP panel of the waterfall. Don’t glue it. It will cling to the magnet beneath the paper. Remove the liner paper from the magnet.
- Next, fold the flap closure up to meet the magnet on the top panel. The tape will adhere to the flap.
- Now line the flap with paper, inside and out as seen here.
- Then, glue the base of the flap to the base of the folio as seen in the photo.
- Now, cover the flap with a matted image from the paper collection.
- Finally, decorate the flap front as seen here.
Butterfly Medley Purple Vintage Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Decorating the Cover
Now that the inside of our folio is finished, we can go to work on the cover.
- First, cut a 4.75″ x 6.75″ panel of Butterfly Medley paper. Distress the edges.
- Next, ink the edges of the paper with Dusty Concord and Seedless Preserves Distress Inks. Spritz with water. Splatter with Dylusions White Linen Spray.
- Now, mat on a slightly larger panel of dark lavender cardstock. Glue to the cover base.
- Next, wrap the front, spine and back of the folio with 1/2″ Scor-tape. Wrap ribbon around the tape, leaving long tails on the end so you can tie a bow.
- Now, Die cut the Eyelet Oval from white cardstock. Glue in place.
- Then cut a word border strip and glue through the center of the oval, as seen.
- Fussy cut stamps and images from the collection. Add foam tape to the back and glue in place, as seen in the photo.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Creating the Roses
Now we’ll make the roses to decorate the folio.
- First, stamp 3 sets of the Classic Rose images onto patterned paper from the collection. I used Archival Ultra Violet Ink to do this.
- Next, stamp 3 sets of foliage onto the same paper using Olive Archival Ink.
- Now die cut all the roses and foliage.
- Then, place the die cuts face down on a non-stick craft sheet and sponge the back side with a combination of Dusty Concord and Seedless Preserves Distress Inks.
- Now turn everything face up and spritz with Tattered Angels Deep Plum mist.
- While the petals are still wet, pinch them together and set aside to dry.
- When dry, gently open the petals and shape with the flower shaping kit To do this, I used the largest stylus end and ran it gently around in circles until the layers formed a cup. .
- Now glue the layers together, fill the centers with glue and I Cannot Tell a Lilac Prills.
- Next, spritz lightly with Iridescent Gold Tattered Angels Mist.
- When dry, add to the folio cover.
- Now, stamp, die cut and color two butterflies from Botanical Wings. Glue together as seen here and add pen nib to the body.
- To finish, add more Prills, bows, button and stick pins.
On With the Hop
From here, you will hop on over to Martine’s lovely blog. You can find a complete hop list below:
Kathy (You are HERE) ♥ Martine ♥ Amarilys ♥ Gloria ♥ Vicki ♥ Archana ♥ Sarah ♥ Deneen
Be sure to visit and comment on each blog in the hop. One comment from a mystery blog will be randomly chosen to win a $25 Heartfelt Creations Gift Certificate.
The hop runs from 8 AM EST on Friday, February 23rd through Monday, February 26th at 11:59 PM. Winner will be announced on the Heartfelt Creations Blog and Facebook page on Wednesday, February 28th, 2018. I’ll also contact the winner via e-mail and will post the winner’s name at the top of my blog at that time.
I hope I’ve shared some ideas, tips, and tricks that you can use in your own crafty adventures. If so,, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Thanks for hopping!
Butterfly Medley Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial Supply List
Heartfelt Creations Products:
- Butterfly Medley Paper Collection
- Botanical Wings Stamp Set and Matching Die
- Classic Rose Stamp Set and Matching Die
- Eyelet Oval Die
- Luggage and Tags Die
- Flower Shaping Kit
- Stamp Mat
- I Cannot Tell a Lilac Prills
- Art Institute Dries Clear Adhesive
- Really Reasonable Ribbon Hyacinth Satin with Grosgrain Edge
- 5/8″ Hyacinth Satin Swirls Ribbon
- Gold Metallic String
- 2 Shades of Lavender Cardstock, 3 sheets each, 8.5×11
- white cardstock
- button from your stash
- Ranger Archival Ink: Ultra Violet and Olive
- Distress Ink: Dusty Concord and Seedless Preserves
- Tattered Angels Mist: Iridescent Gold and Deep Plum
- Dylusions White Linen Spray
- 1/2″ Scor-Tape
Well, am I ever happy I’m late! There’s a traffic jam on your blog! (Although it would be fun to win some Heartfelt Creations!) I watched your video while I ate my lunch before getting back to work, and it’s the best lunch break I’ve ever taken!
You always amaze me with your folios (or anything else you make, for that matter! This one really tugs at my heartstrings because I love the colors and of course, butterflies. What a feast for the eyes this is! Thank you for sharing yet another wonderful piece of eye candy and for all your hard work with the project, the detailed post (bookmarked!) and fabulous video. Hugs!.
Wow! beautiful project!!
How beautiful and elaborate! So much detail to gaze upon.
Thank you so much, Eugenia! I’m so glad you hopped on by!
This is absolutely stunning!!!! WOW!!!!!
Thank you, Patricia! It’s a wonderful collection, and the folio is really pretty easy to make! Happy crafting!
I love going back thru my heartfelt collections and using ones from years ago. I mix the new with the old.
What a beautiful trifold folio. Thanks for…
It is so beautiful. I can’t wait to make one. Thanks
Hi, Stormy! Yay! I hope you have a great time putting this together. I know I did! Thanks for the lovely comment!
Wow this is just a stunning card I love your choice of colours, thank you so much for sharing your ideas.
Thank you so much, Anne! Adding that little bit of ink to the papers really does make everything pop. So glad you are enjoying the hop!
Your folio is gorgeous with the violets and purples I just love it. Wow this is just stunning thank you so much for sharing
Love this Heartfelt Creation–it’s truly heartfelt! The colors are stunning–your paper selections from the butterfly medley are so well chosen for the many different features of the trifold. I’ve never thought of using the prills as you did but I really like the added dimension they bring. Don’t have this HC set so it will now be added to my wish list! tfs
Wow! This is genius! Love this folio. I think I’ll make one for myself!!
Great job! This is really beautiful. Such talent! Thank you for sharing.
Wow, thank you so much, Jackie! You made my day!
Beautiful color combinations, stunning trifold card, with gorgeous molded flowers.
Thank you so much, Kathy! I’m glad you hopped on by!
What beautifulcolors. I love the papers
This is absolutely beautiful!!
Thanks so much, Lynn! I’m glad you are enjoying the hop!
The purples and butterflies are beautiful.
Thanks so much Frances! Purple is a color that I’m becoming more fond of all the time. Happy Hopping!
This is stunning! I appreciate the video, and hope that some day I could actually do a project that beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
Hi, Pat! I’m so glad to know you enjoyed the video! I hope you give the folio a try. They are loads of fun to make. The wonderful thing about crafting is that there is always room to grow, room to improve and new things to learn. I have no doubt that you will create lots of gorgeous art! Thanks for hopping!
Who doesn’t love butterflies?!! And this gorgeous purple folio with the roses and prills on the front and waterfall and nooks for goodies on the inside is another fabulous stunner!
WOW! The colors take my breath away.
How stunning and the colors are so lush..thank you for sharing..
Thank you so much Jayne! This is a lovely collection to work with. Happy hopping!
Butterflies and lilacs are a great combination. Love it!!!
Thanks, Sue! I love butterflies with any color! They are a favorite theme of mine. Happy hopping!
This is a beautiful folio – love the purple roses
Thanks, Madeleine! I shaped them a little differently this time, and really like the way they turned out. Thanks for hopping!
This is spectacular, Kathy! I love the colors!
This is spectacular, Kathy! I really love the colors!
Wow!!!!! This folio is absolutely gorgeous Kathy! So full of beautiful, colorful, amazing details! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial!
Absolutely wonderful, I’m new to Heartfelt but I really love it!
Hi, Lene! Yes, Heartfelt is a wonderful company with so many great tools to help us grow in our art. You are going to have so much fun! Glad you enjoyed the hop! Thanks for the lovely comment!
Just beautiful Kathy! Thanks for the tutorial. I think I might make one of these.
Kathy, Kathy, Kathy,
You are such an inspiration! Your tuts are so thoughtfully, clearly, and beautifully put together. Bless your heart! Gorgeous colors, too! I’ve not seen this collection but you bet I’ll be looking PDQ, now. Since learning to make “shirt box” cardstock boxes with top and bottom (G45 tut, I think) those big 3D roses no longer intimidate me. Thank you for sharing your talents. Xo0x.
Your folio is gorgeous with the violets and purples!! The stunning clusters of roses and the beautiful butterfly with the Tim Holtz pen nib is spectacular on the front are fabulous! The prills really added the depth and texture too!! All such beautiful Heartfelt Creations papers and products!
This is a beautiful folio Kathy! I love your designs and work. You are so talented! I really want to try this but just never enough time. It would take me 2 days to make this, I’m sure. Thank you for some great inspiration!
Your folio is gorgeous!
I love all the different
pages and the colors
Carla from Utah
This is absolutely stunning! Thanks for the video as well. Love the colors of this collection
Wow–this is gorgeous. I enjoyed watching the video to see how this was made. Love that swirl purple ribbon and the butterflies.
I’m blown away! What a GORGEOUS project Kathy! Love all the pretty details, gorgeous colors and butterflies! Thanks for making a video!
Your projects never fail to be amazing! I love what you did on the cover with the Prills and the pen nib. Really cool!
Love it, love it, love it.
Amazing, as always. You do great instructions too!
Stunning! I’m amazed at the use of the prills cascading down the roses, pooling above the butterfly, amazing on its own, to add a few sprinkles of pollen clinging to the butter’s body. GORGEOUS! You use of colors is lovely. I appreciated the artists eye that you have. This is a fabulous folio. I’m thrilled I found your blog, Cheers!
I love this year color (violet), and you made a beautiful album using Medley Butterfly. Félicitations!
Hello, Francine! Yes, violet is such a fun color with so many shades. I think we shall all have fun with it this year. Thanks so much for the lovely comment. Happy hopping!
Absolutely Beautiful! Reminded me of my Nana she loved the color purple & butterflies.
Hi, Brenda! Purple is a color that I have gradually become more fond of. So maybe your Nana and I have a lot in common, because I love butterflies, too. Thanks for the lovely comment! Enjoy the hop!
This is absolutely amazingly stunning! You do such beautiful work with Heartfelt Creations, my favorite!
Thank you so much, Dawn! I really enjoy participating in the Alumni Hop each month. I always try to share a tutorial for my project. I’m so glad you enjoyed the post!
Amazing as usual. I do enjoy your folio cards that are little mini albums really. Can’t wait for the winter to be over and the spring takes over, your card does make me feel the warmth of Spring. Thanks for sharing yet another masterpiece.
Do have a lovely creative weekend.
Everything you make is absolutely beautiful. I am brand new to this type of artwork ( that is truly what it is) and I hope to half as good someday. Thank you for the inspiration!
Thank you so much! Your kind words warm my heart. I’m so glad you found inspiration here! That makes my day. Enjoy the hop!!!
Hi Kathy, gorgeous, just gorgeous. Love that purple,; an that button on the bow is so special. just gorgeous all the way around. you are amazing…..have a good day.
WOW! WOW! WOW! Gorgeous!
What a wonderful way to begin this blog hop! Such a lovely creation and a video as well. How creative of you girl! I love the way you used the prills and the ink nib …totally inspirational!
gorgeous work, as always. beautiful Heartfelt Creations collection!
WOW!!! What a creatively inspired way to start off the weekend!!! I will certainly be making one (or more) of these folios as birthday gifts!! Thanks for sharing Kathy!!!
Such a lovely choice of colors! I love the roses, butterflies, and the beautiful accessories. Thanks for sharing.
Watched your video and quickly proceeded to your blog for all the details! Love this folio, can’t wait to make one for myself!! Thanks for sharing your creative ideas!!
OMG! Be still my heart!!