This hop is now closed. The winning comment was from Bonita on Amarilys Doria’s Blog. Thanks for hopping!
Butterfly Medley Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Heartfelt Creations Alumni Hop
Hello, Friends! Welcome to the Heartfelt Creations February Alumni Hop! I’m here to share a Butterfly Medley Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial with you. We have a lot of ground to cover, so grab a snack and a cuppa and let’s get started!
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: First Look
Ultra Violet is Pantone’s 2018 Color of the Year, so I thought I’d celebrate that with this rich purple folio. I pulled papers from the beautiful Butterfly Medley Paper Collection and added a whole host of dies to create this 5″ x 7″ trifold folio. You’ll find a complete supply list at the end of this post.
You Tube Video Tour of the Album
I think it’s easier to understand how this folio comes together if you can see all the various mechanisms at work. So I’ve made a short YouTube Video Tour of the album for you to watch before we get started. I hope you enjoy!
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Building the Base
Here’s how to build this trifold folio base:
- First, cut 2 sheets of textured lavender cardstock to measure 11″ x 7″ high.
- Then, join the two strips of cardstock together on the 7″ edge using 1/2″ Scor-Tape.
- Now place the long side of this strip on your scoring tool. Score at 5″ and again at 5.5″.
- Next, repeat this process all the way down the length of your paper, folding to fit your scoring platform as you go. You should end up with THREE 5″ x 7″ sections with 1/2″ spines between.
- Now, on the far right hand panel, score an additional line 1.5″ from the edge. This will form the flap and pocket.
- Finally, crease all scored lines with a bone folder.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Decorating the base pages
We will line and design the interior of the folio before we create the cover. This way, the cover will stay clean and fresh. Dimensional elements will not get crushed during the creative process.
- First, cut 3/8″ strips of patterned paper to line all the spine sections, inside and out. I used border strips for this purpose.
- Next, cut panel of slightly darker lavender cardstock. Cut each panel to measure 4 7/8″ x 6 7/8″.
- For the next steps, DO NOT GLUE the papers until instructed to do so, or you will not be able to add the flip and flap elements.
- Now, cut two panels of Butterfly Medley paper to measure 4.75″ x 6.75″. These will line the left and center folio panels.
- Then cut a 2.75″ x 6.75″ panel for the flap. You may glue this in place now.
- Next cut a 2″ x 6.75″ panel to line the pocket and a 1 3/8″ panel to line the pocket flap. You may glue this in place now.
- To seal the pocket, add glue to the top and bottom edge only.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Creating the Flap Elements
Now we will work on creating the flap element on the right hand side of the album.
- First trim two card front images. The one on the top measures 4.25″ x 3″. Mat this on a piece of 4.75″ x 3.25″ lavender cardstock. Glue the image to the mat, leaving a wide margin on the right hand side. Place this on your scoring tool, and score a line just to the right of the image. Fold to form a hinge. Glue the hinge to to top of the flap.
- Then repeat this process with the next image. This time trim the image to measure 4.75″ x 3.5″. Mat on a larger piece of lavender cardstock as before. Score a hinge and glue to the flap.
This is what the flap page will look like. I lined the back side of my flaps with patterned paper from the Butterfly Medley Collection. Trim out the word “Bloom” from the paper collection, mat on cardstock and glue just the left hand edge in place to create a tuck spot.
Here’s the pocket on the back side of the flap.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Creating the Center Panel
Now we will work on the flip and pocket element in the center panel of the folio.
- First, trim the card front to measure 4.75″ wide x 5.25″ tall. Round the corners, if desired.
- Then score a 1/2″ hinge along the top edge of the image. Crease this and glue it to the center of the panel.
- Now glue the Butterfly Medley panel you cut earlier in place so that it covers the hinge as seen in this photo.
- Next, create a pocket by scoring 1/2″ margins on bottom, right and left hand sides of a 5 7/8″ x 2.5″ panel of paper. Fold the flaps to form a pocket. Use a circle punch to create a thumb hole. Glue in place.
- Finally, fill the pocket with tags as seen here. Die cut the ticket and glue in place.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: The Waterfall Folio
Now we will create the waterfall folio on the left hand side.
- Begin by gluing your pre-cut panel of Butterfly Medley paper in place.
- Now, cut 5 panels of 4″ x 5.5″ cardstock in alternating colors of light and dark lavender.
- Next, round the corners. Score a 1/2″ hinge on the top of each panel.
- Then, cut 5 card fronts to fit each cardstock panel. These should measure 3.75″ x approx. 5″ . If they are a little shorter, it really doesn’t matter.
- Now, for the top panel only: add a magnet toward the bottom edge of the cardstock panel.
- Next, glue the card fronts to the cardstock panels, being sure to glue below the fold.
- Now you will line the folded edge of the first panel up with the top edge of your Butterfly Medley paper, being sure to center it on both the right and left hand sides.
- Next, glue the next folded edge so that it butts up against the previous one. You can see from this photo what that should look like.
- Then continue adding panels until they are all in place.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Creating the Magnetic Flap
Next, create the magnetic flap closure.
- First, cut a 2″ x 5″ strip of lavender cardstock.
- Then, score at 3″ and again at 3 1/8″. Crease the score lines.
- Place this strip on the folio base as seen here. Place a magnet on the TOP panel of the waterfall. Don’t glue it. It will cling to the magnet beneath the paper. Remove the liner paper from the magnet.
- Next, fold the flap closure up to meet the magnet on the top panel. The tape will adhere to the flap.
- Now line the flap with paper, inside and out as seen here.
- Then, glue the base of the flap to the base of the folio as seen in the photo.
- Now, cover the flap with a matted image from the paper collection.
- Finally, decorate the flap front as seen here.
Butterfly Medley Purple Vintage Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Decorating the Cover
Now that the inside of our folio is finished, we can go to work on the cover.
- First, cut a 4.75″ x 6.75″ panel of Butterfly Medley paper. Distress the edges.
- Next, ink the edges of the paper with Dusty Concord and Seedless Preserves Distress Inks. Spritz with water. Splatter with Dylusions White Linen Spray.
- Now, mat on a slightly larger panel of dark lavender cardstock. Glue to the cover base.
- Next, wrap the front, spine and back of the folio with 1/2″ Scor-tape. Wrap ribbon around the tape, leaving long tails on the end so you can tie a bow.
- Now, Die cut the Eyelet Oval from white cardstock. Glue in place.
- Then cut a word border strip and glue through the center of the oval, as seen.
- Fussy cut stamps and images from the collection. Add foam tape to the back and glue in place, as seen in the photo.
Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial: Creating the Roses
Now we’ll make the roses to decorate the folio.
- First, stamp 3 sets of the Classic Rose images onto patterned paper from the collection. I used Archival Ultra Violet Ink to do this.
- Next, stamp 3 sets of foliage onto the same paper using Olive Archival Ink.
- Now die cut all the roses and foliage.
- Then, place the die cuts face down on a non-stick craft sheet and sponge the back side with a combination of Dusty Concord and Seedless Preserves Distress Inks.
- Now turn everything face up and spritz with Tattered Angels Deep Plum mist.
- While the petals are still wet, pinch them together and set aside to dry.
- When dry, gently open the petals and shape with the flower shaping kit To do this, I used the largest stylus end and ran it gently around in circles until the layers formed a cup. .
- Now glue the layers together, fill the centers with glue and I Cannot Tell a Lilac Prills.
- Next, spritz lightly with Iridescent Gold Tattered Angels Mist.
- When dry, add to the folio cover.
- Now, stamp, die cut and color two butterflies from Botanical Wings. Glue together as seen here and add pen nib to the body.
- To finish, add more Prills, bows, button and stick pins.
On With the Hop
From here, you will hop on over to Martine’s lovely blog. You can find a complete hop list below:
Be sure to visit and comment on each blog in the hop. One comment from a mystery blog will be randomly chosen to win a $25 Heartfelt Creations Gift Certificate.
The hop runs from 8 AM EST on Friday, February 23rd through Monday, February 26th at 11:59 PM. Winner will be announced on the Heartfelt Creations Blog and Facebook page on Wednesday, February 28th, 2018. I’ll also contact the winner via e-mail and will post the winner’s name at the top of my blog at that time.
I hope I’ve shared some ideas, tips, and tricks that you can use in your own crafty adventures. If so,, I’d love to hear from you in the comment section below.
Thanks for hopping!
Butterfly Medley Vintage Purple Roses Trifold Folio Tutorial Supply List
Heartfelt Creations Products:
- Butterfly Medley Paper Collection
- Botanical Wings Stamp Set and Matching Die
- Classic Rose Stamp Set and Matching Die
- Eyelet Oval Die
- Luggage and Tags Die
- Flower Shaping Kit
- Stamp Mat
- I Cannot Tell a Lilac Prills
- Art Institute Dries Clear Adhesive
- Really Reasonable Ribbon Hyacinth Satin with Grosgrain Edge
- 5/8″ Hyacinth Satin Swirls Ribbon
- Gold Metallic String
- 2 Shades of Lavender Cardstock, 3 sheets each, 8.5×11
- white cardstock
- button from your stash
- Ranger Archival Ink: Ultra Violet and Olive
- Distress Ink: Dusty Concord and Seedless Preserves
- Tattered Angels Mist: Iridescent Gold and Deep Plum
- Dylusions White Linen Spray
- 1/2″ Scor-Tape