Secret Santa Treat Box with Shaker Ornament for Authentique Christmas Group Post
Hello, Friends! This Secret Santa Treat Box is a quick and easy last minute Christmas gift. I’ve made it for the Authentique Christmas Group post over on the Authentique Blog. You’ll definitely want to pop over there to see what paper pretties the rest of the team has cooked up for you to enjoy.
Secret Santa Treat Box: Putting it together
I’ve had this 3″ x 4″ little slider drawer box in the Closet of Shame for ages. It’s such a cute size , and you can tuck all sorts of goodies inside the drawer: chocolates, candies, gift cards, jewelry…whatever tiny treasure your heart desires. Here’s how it came together:
- First, cut Spectrum Tricycle Red Cardstock to fit the height of the box. Then wrap it around the outside and secure with your favorite adhesive.
- Next, cut a slightly smaller layer of the cable knit sweater pattern from Snowfall and adhere to the top of the box. Use scraps if you have them.
- Now, create a teeny tiny easel card with a 2 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ piece of heavy cream cardstock. Again, use scraps. Score the easel at 2 1/2″ and again at 5″, then cover with scraps from the December Calendar Collection. Center and adhere to the top of the box.
- Use stamp shaped scissors to cut out the Santa Stamps. Place a magnet behind the Santa stamp on the right. This will hold the shaker ornament in place. Adhere to the front of the easel.
- Now cover the sides of the drawer with a 1″ strip of the red cardstock from the December collection kit.
- You will need to strengthen the drawer face before you add the drawer pull. Cut a piece of cardstock that will fit behind the drawer front. Then place the drawer pull where you want it and use a piercing tool to add holes. Attach the handle with brads.
- Cover the inside of the box with scraps from the December collection.
Secret Santa Treat Box: A Peek Inside
I was able to fit 9 Nuggets neatly inside the drawer.
TIP: If the drawer “drags” when you are trying to open and close it, simply rub the sides with a little candle wax. It will glide freely.
Decorate the top of the box with a bottle brush Christmas tree and some pretty Prima Christmas Flowers. Add a green gingham bow.
Secret Santa Treat Box: The Shaker Ornament
I found this shaker ornament frame while cleaning out my chipboard stash. While I could not find it online, I did find a nice selection of shaker ornaments HERE. You could easily substitute another Christmas shape. Here’s how the shaker came together:
- First, paint the outer frame and the backing with off white chalk paint.
- Tap the frame with Versamark Embossing Ink. Then heat emboss with Shabby Ivory Embossing powder.
- Trace around the base of the ornament, or use a circle die to cut out the Santa image. Adhere this to the front side of the ornament base.
- Now cut a second piece from scraps and adhere on the back side of the base.
- Adhere foam tape around the edges of the base. I use Darice Foam Strips because they are only 1/8″ wide and will not show through the shaker window. I generally add 3 layers of foam tape, but you can add as many or as few as you wish.
- Now adhere the domed shaker inside the frame using Dries Clear Adhesive.
- Next, fill the center of the base with your shaker mix. Be careful not to let sequins or beads gather around the outer edges, or the shaker will not seal properly.
- Now, line up the domed frame over the foam tape on the base. Gently press in place to seal.
- Then, adhere eyelash trim around the outer edge of the shaker to cover up the foam.
- Next, place the 2nd magnet over the Santa Stamp. Press the ornament against it once you have it positioned where you want it to be. Cover the back of the magnet with a bit of Scor-Tape and cover with a small scrap of paper.
- Finally, string ribbon through the hanger. Add a bow, jingle bells, holly, etc. Stitch a Christmas button at the top of the ribbon to form a hanger.
Secret Santa Treat Box: Adding the Feet
You will need to create a false bottom for the box if you wish to add the feet. This is easy to do. Simply cut a 1/8″ thick piece of chipboard to match the size of the box bottom. Wrap it with the same red cardstock that was used to cover the drawer front. Finally, adhere the feet to the false bottom, then adhere the false bottom to the base of the box.
These little boxes would be sweet made up for any occasion: birthdays, Valentine’s Day, Easter….the sky is the limit! You can find another of these little gift boxes that I made a while back HERE. I’ve added a linked supply list at the bottom of this post for your convenience.
Now I wish you all a truly joyous and happy Christmas! I’ll be spending time with my sweet family , but will be back for the Heartfelt Creations blog hop on Friday. I hope to see you there!
Merry Christmas dear friends!
- Authentique Paper
- 3″ x 4″ matchbook box ???
- 3/8″ green gingham ribbon
- Prima Christmas in the Country Flowers
- ButterBee Scraps
- Shaker Ornament (see link in text for examples)
- Prima Sisal Trees
- Darice Foam Strips
- Jingle Bells and Buttons from my Stash
Another fabulous make Kathy! Thanks for sharing your art! This is sooo beautiful and love the added shaker ornament and frill – Merry Christmas!
Kathy, this is an adorable gift box. Like how you incorporated the shaker ornament–it doubles the gifting factor! This will be on my “must try” list when I pick up my crafting in the new year. Merry Christmas–enjoy your time with family and friends. Holiday Hugs!
What an amazing box Kathy, but then all of your projects are but this one is super special with Santa! Merry Christmas my friend and a very Happy New Year!!!
so cute and festive!
This has got to be the cutest little box!!! I love how you make the smallest things look so special. Thank you for another awesome craft!!! Hugs!!
Kathy, what a darling little treat box! I love the way you have decorated the top with the bottle brush tree and the Santa image with the bells. I must try to make these for next year. Can’t believe Christmas is just 2 days away! At the pace I move I should start my Christmas projects in Jan. LOL Thank you for sharing this beautiful little box! Hugs!
Oh my …I luv your Secret Santa Treat Box! Just adorable as always! Merry Christmas to you and all of your family! Hugs, Suzy Q
Kathy – this box is adorable! I love it!!